Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tables with Dynamics Field Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luvsql

Technical User
Apr 3, 2003
CA
I have a stored procedure with a parameter called #Days so depending on how many days you enter when running the report, the table will be updated with different values. For example, if I enter 10 as the parameter, the end columns of the table will be +1 Wed Nov 26, +2 Thur Nov 27 up to +10 Fri Dec 5. I would like to display the last column on the report, but it changes with each parameter I enter.

Is there a way to have a calculated field that can look at the values of a table then grab the last column of that table?

If you're starting with the current date, then the last date of your report is CurrentDate+{?Days}

Yes I know the column name will be that but need the value in that field to display. The column names are +1 Wed Nov 26 etc, but the field values for each of these columns is different.

If you're preselecting the data based on date, this sounds like a good application for a Crosstab. It will adapt to the number of dates in your data.

I don't want all the values to display across the top. I only want the last field. If I enter 7 days, 30 days, 120 days that would put up to 120 columns across the top. I only want to very last one.

create a summary field that does a Maximim of your date field. You can put it in the report header.

Which field would I use in the formula? The field names/number of fields in the table change every time the report is run. You're assuming this one field is static but it's dynamic.

Here is what the table is when I choose parameter is 3 (Field Name - field values)

Code - STAND0001
1 Thur Nov 26 - 1557
2 Fri Nov 27 - 1547
3 Sat Nov 28 - 1496

That's just for one code.

If I enter parameter value of 5 days:
Code - STAND0001
1 Thur Nov 26 - $1557
2 Fri Nov 27 - $1547
3 Sat Nov 28 - $1496
4 Sun Nov 29 - $1598
5 Mon Nov 30 - $1588

Notice the number of fields in the table change depending on the parameter entered. The number of fields always changes.

On my report, I entered 3, I want to show $1496.
If I entered 5 days, I want to show $1588

Will you be able to suppress the section using the condition not(onlastrecord)

If I understand correctly, your SQL is creating a data source that changes depending on the number of days selected.

If you select 3 you get something like DATE1, DATE2, DATE3 as field names.

Can you alter the SQL to do the dates in reverse order, so that the highest date is always DATE1?

Hi,

You're obviously not using an IT maintained normalized table.

This table is actually a pivot report. I'd try to find who's created this report/table (I'd guess it was done in Access or Excel) and what query/source tables they used to create the pivot. Then go after the source data directly, which would not have "dynamic field names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back