Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tables no populated in EM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSTRJD

MIS
Sep 14, 2004
US
Hi All,

I have a problem with Enterprise Manager where the reports return no data.I queried the database tables and found that some tables like 'EM_IS_LAST_UPDATE','EM_USER','DT_DATE','IS_SERVER'
tables are populated while other tables such as "IS_SESSION","IS_REP_FACT" are not populated.
Do any one of you have a idea what may be the reason for this?

Thanks.

what version are you with Enterprise manager and with MSTR?
It might be just that EM needs an upgrade. Or your stats tables are older version.

But then some of your tables are populated you say....weird..

Please provide more details

iolaper,

Thanks for ur response.I checked the mstrmigration.log file and found this message:

"An error occurred while connecting to the configured Intelligence Server, and no alternate servers were found.A connection attempt to MicroStrategy Intelligence Server failed. Please re-configure the monitored servers and projects using the Configuration section of the Enterprise Manager console"

Do I have to to look into the console and reconfigure the project? when I do it and if it works,will I be able to recover the statistics data that was not logged since the error has occured?

Thanks.

You have NOT lost any of your statistics. They will be collected so dont worry about that.

Ok I went through a technote TN6400-75x-0289 and it says this might be something to do with your MSTR passowrd not matching with your password on EM when you configured it to log stats.

Follow that technote, that should solve your issue.

Have a nice weekend!

iolaper,

I went through the tech note.There it is mentioned that the data load process fails when the password is changed.In my case not only the data load has failed,but the statistics tables are also not logged.Any way i will do what is mentioned in the tech note and see if it works.

Our envirnoment has 2 IS in windows clustering.I think some issues with this clustering.

Thanks.

MSTRJD,

I came across the same type of issue few months back and I had to spend almost 3 days identifying what was the exact problem since the EM was collecting the data with respect to user creation, objects etc but not the report and session statistics.

After different Permutations and combinations of testing, I found that someone has deleted the DSN in the ODBC administrator which was pointing to the statistics database. But in Microstrategy Desktop, under the Project - project configuration - Statistics database, the deleted DSN was still existing and the statistics database was still pointing to the same deleted DSN. So check whether your issue is this or something similar.

If you have already tried resolution steps given in the Microstratgy tech. support (TN6400-72X-0095, TN6400-7X0-0091, TN6400-71X-0067, TN6400-071-0005, TN6400-071-0019)then you try the one which I have mentioned. Since in your case too EM is not collecting data only for some tables and not for all tables.

And, also if the EM was upgraded recently without following all the steps then there is a chance for this problem due to configuration. Here you have to repeat your configuration.

Good luck.

teccum.

iolaper,teccum:

I followed according to the tech note that iolaper had sent me by registering the project once again in the EM console and updating it with the recent microstrategy password.The data is now getting logged and the reports are returning data. Thanks to both of you for your help.

By the way,is there any way to recover the statistics data which was not logged?

Thanks

I remember you telling me that some tables were not populated and some were, have you checked all options in the Project Configuration>Statistics?

MSTRJD,

Unfortunately, I believe it is not possible to recover the statistics data which was not logged.

Remember, to capture all the data, choose the 'detailed' check box for the report jobs and if required for document jobs under the statistics option.

teccum.

Thanks.

Since we can't caputure the past data,we want to have atleast EM logging data from now onwards.I changed the password as per the Tech note and now the statistics are logged.We have 2 servers clustered in Windows and not Microstrategy clustering.The data load and statistics logging will be working fine when it is on one server.Over a period of time when the server is switched to another we get a message that "It is recommended that Data load should happen on one server,if you want to the other server to take ownership,click YES or if you want the same server to retain the ownership then click NO".If we click to change the ownership, then dataload works fine.If NO then data load fails.
Do any one of you have any idea how to configure the Servers in windows clustering for EM?Actually we want to have EM pointing to clustered server instance rather than individual servers in it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back