Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Usage (MB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

extempore

Programmer
Jun 1, 2001
US
Hi,

I am going to run a dataload will bring 21,294,714 recordas to a table. Can someone tell me how much mb this is equal to? I am planning on doing the similar thing for several other tables...I need to see how much space I need to allocate for this job. Can you explain also how you calcluate it...just want to learn. Thanks and Regards.

You can use the sp_estspace system stored proc, although it can be very inaccurate - especially if you have varchars.

Basically, you need to tot up the size of each column (in bytes) and multiply this by the number of rows, although there is additional storage overhead.

I'm making the assumption that you are loading from empty. It would almost certainly be recommended that any indexes are dropped before loading and recreated afterwards - this will take a while and space usage will be large especially for any clustered index.

I would look at running a test load with 1/10th the volume and scaling your figures up from this. sp_spaceused will obviously tell you how much space a table is using.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I have used an created a report and submitted to the DBA team. Waiting for thier response. I have only a 10000 row sample file which is not even closer to 1/10th of the final file. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back