Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table size limit 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaveTrouble

Programmer
Jan 10, 2005
US
Is there a limit of how many rows of data can be in a table ? We have a web form with SQL statement to insert data directly to a table. It produces timeout error once a while after table reaches 300,000+ rows. Is it because the table size reaches the limit ?

If you are getting a timeout issue, you have to check the timout paramter that is set on the server.

I have 100 million records in my table, your name is relatively small. You need to check to see if you have enough space on your server for the database files to grow. Check your configuration, what version of sql are you using and have you the lastest service pack. Is your PC a good spec computer.

Even 100 million records in a table is small. I've worked with tables that are over 1 billion records in the table. 300,000 records is nothing.

Ensure that the data has enough space (you may be getting time outs while waiting for the database to grow). Your indexes may need to be rebuilt to free up some space on the pages.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]
Donate to Katrina relief

Does it make any difference if the insert statement is inserting data directly into table ? I came across some articles before about insert data into views but can't remember exactly why.

Check all that was sugggested here, timeout value, size, indexes etc.

No it shouldn't make any difference if it's inserting directly into a table or through a view. Inserts directly into a table will be better however.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]
Donate to Katrina relief

I would investigate the index structure of the table. There might be indexes on fields that don't have much selectivity (bit fields!), or on fields that you normally wouldn't query against (unique identifiers) that are causing inserts to time out.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back