Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table row expanding despite height etc 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFfan

Programmer
Jan 18, 2002
CA
I have a tabular setup with the outside column spanning 4 rows. The four rows consist of two "boxes" each with a thin title row (28 pixels high) and another row for content.

the problem is that when the outside column grows, it forces the spanned rows to expand also--this is fine, but I do not want the title rows to epand proportionally, only the content areas to expand. I would like the title rows to remain 28px high.

To no one's surprise, Mozilla/Firefox does exactly what I want. IE expands all the rows unfortunately, including the title rows.

Is there a way to force/trick IE into compliance?

I've tried everything I can think of in both my SS and html and nothing seems to work. thanks.

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem. I certainly don't understand how the "boxes" are created? With another table within each of the 4 cells, maybe?

I've recreated what I understand to be what you have, and I cannot get it to exhibit what I understand your problem to be:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1 Strict//EN" "[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">[/URL]
<html xmlns="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"[/URL] lang="en" xml:lang="en">
<head>
	<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
	<style type="text/css">
		.titleRow {
			height: 28px;
			overflow: hidden;
		}
	</style>
</head>

<body>
	<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
		<tr>
			<td rowspan="4">
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
				Some content<br />
			</td>
			<td valign="top">
					<tr class="titleRow">
						<td>Title Row 1</td>
					</tr>
					<tr>
						<td>Content Row 1</td>
					</tr>
				</table>
			</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td valign="top">
					<tr class="titleRow">
						<td>Title Row 2</td>
					</tr>
					<tr>
						<td>Content Row 2</td>
					</tr>
				</table>
			</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td valign="top">
					<tr class="titleRow">
						<td>Title Row 3</td>
					</tr>
					<tr>
						<td>Content Row 3</td>
					</tr>
				</table>
			</td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td valign="top">
					<tr class="titleRow">
						<td>Title Row 4</td>
					</tr>
					<tr>
						<td>Content Row 4</td>
					</tr>
				</table>
			</td>
		</tr>
	</table>
</body>
</html>

Can you elaborate on how your problem relates to that code? Am I way off here?

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]

Also, did you think about moving away from a table layout and going with css?

Hi, thanks for your replies. Firstly, yes, I'd prefer to use straight CSS too, but I do not think it's possible to do what I want to do. Say I'm using a standard box design in CSS. Two independant boxes have separate content. When one content box grows with text, I'd like the other to grow with it, despite it's lack of sufficient content (ie to be filled with white pace so that each box is the same height).

If there's a way to accomplish this in CSS, I'd be thrilled to hear about it.

I do not want to use nested tables, I'mpretty sure that would fix my problem, but one table is enough (the drawbacks of nested tables are obvious).

This is what I'm trying to explain.
| rowspan=3
|
_________|
td title |
_________|
td content3|
|
|
|

Now, when content 2 gets more content than content and content3, the title td grow proportionally with their content boxes. Firefox, displays this correctly, by only growing the content and maintaining my 28px title heights. IE ignores this.

So am I to assume there is no known fix?

So am I to assume there is no known fix?

I do not want to use nested tables, I'mpretty sure that would fix my problem

You've answered your own question. Yes, there is, but you do not want to use it.

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]

I didn't mean to ignore your suggestion BRPS, but the use of nested tables is bad practise, and I'd like to avoid it. I appreciate your help just the same.

These are templates that will be used by other people (via a builder)--if it were for me, I could work around it, but there's no telling what the masses will do with it. If there is no solution, maybe a text limiter will be used.

Foamcow, yes I know of the faux column method, but it's not applicable here as some of the designs are more complicated than that.

Thanks anyway. If I find a solution, I'll be sure to post it here.

You can do it with CSS and Javascript.
I used it on a couple of sites but have since revamped them so they don't need/use the script.

Basically the script looked at the height of each div/column then reset the heights to all be the same as the longest one.
It worked, but with the disadvantages of Javascript.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Toccoa Games - Day of Defeat gaming community
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
"I'm making time

Thanks Foamcow, while I won't use it for this, I'd really like to take a look at that script. Leanring something new is never a bad thing.

Simple solution. I put the title in a div instead of a TD, placed it inside the content TD and used absolute positioning, negative margins and explicit widths.

So I get collumns that expand with each other and IE doesn't mess up the height of my title "boxes". It's also cleaner and closer to the ideal.

Not sure why this never occurred to me before.

Thanks for your time, guys.

Absolute positioning and negative margins make me cringe. I wouldn't call that solution clean.

I didn't call it clean, I called it cleaner--cleaner than nested tables. If there's a more elegant solution, I'd be thrilled to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back