Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table of Contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

StacyStacy

Programmer
Apr 16, 2003
US
I've created a table of contents many times before. This is what I have done:

1. I have identified my "title" as "Heading1"
2. I have identified my "subtitle" as "Heading2"
3. I have identified my "sub-subtitle" (not sure if that's correct wording, but hopefully you will get the point) as "Heading3"

4. I select "Automatic Table 1"
5. Go to "Insert TOC" to access the "Options" menu
6. Change "1" to associate with "Heading1"
7. Change "2" to associate with "Heading2"
8. Change "3" to associate with "Heading3"
9. Click "Ok"

The Problem:
The TOC does not display all of my headings. I may have 4 separate subtitles as "Heading2" in my document.

Please help. This is kind urgent. I'm putting together training documents and have a hard deadline.

Thanks so much!
Stacy

Have you tried right clicking on the toc and choosing update field?

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

The TOC does not display all of my headings
Please be more exact. Is is just one level? Some of them or all of them?

Also have you checked that the headings really are Heading 2 etc.? Microsoft Word sometimes chooses for you: I have a problem with it classing things as headings that should not be. You may have the reverse problem.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

- It's Word 2007.

- Yes, I've tried many times to right click on the toc field and choosing to update the field. It's apparent that it's not the fix. I

- It's 3 levels as I stated previously. My levels are according to my style choice:
My document title = Heading1
My document subtitle = Heading2
My document sub-subtitle = Heading3
I don't know how to better articulate my levels any clearer.
Also, my selected styles has a different font styles and shading. It's easily detectable in the document.
NOTE: I recreated a toc in blank document and it worked. The style I'm using, I created it and saved it. By the way, I don't know how to see the style I created, even in the Building Blocks.

Thanks for your help. Just so you will know, I'm a trainer as well and I'm writing user guides for our students. I have a hard deadline and the issue with the TOC is the only thing stopping me.

Thanks again!
Stacy

- Yes, I continously checked that my headings are really "Heading1" or "Heading2" or "Heading3". I don't think Microsoft chose my headings for me. I'm pretty sure of that, but again, I'll double check,

Hi Stacy,

What do you get if you:
. delete the existing TOC
. press Ctrl-F9 to create a pair of field braces (ie '{}')
. type 'TOC' between the field braces (ie '{TOC}')
. select the field and press F9.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Format > Styles and Formatting lets you see the document's style, allows you to change or even delete them

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Windows XP & Crystal 10 [yinyang]

Hi Mawdac,

You can't delete Word's Heading Styles. And reformatting them won't change whether they appear in the TOC (unless, perhaps, you format their font as hidden text).

I suspect that Stacy's problem:
I may have 4 separate subtitles as "Heading2" in my document.
may be due to some of these subtitles only looking like the Heading2 Style. Hence my suggestion to use a plain TOC field with no switches.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

It may be too late for this answer, and it may not be totally relevant, but I wanted to add that I have MANY problems when 'Track Changes' is on. I just joined Tek Tips, and was searching for an answer for a problem I was having with a TOC, and found your thread. I solved my problem (TOC wouldn't update, wouldn't 'read' my new parameters) by turning off Track Changes and accepting all changes. I have found that simple step solves a multitude of woes in Word 2007. Hope this is helpful!

elainehf,

Welcome to Tek-Tips, and thanks for sharing your tip. That is what Tek-Tips is all about.

I trust that over time, you'll gain a lot and also share a lot.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Skip must have taken a "nice" pill today, although I agree 100%.

elainhf, I will second Skip's comment and say thank you for contributing. This is indeed what TT is about. Welcome.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back