Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

table not updatable in access

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkGreen

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
GB
Hi,
Bit of a strange one.
One of my SQL tables has stopped being updatable when viewed though a linked table in access. When i change some data directly in the table I get a write conflict.
When viewed in enterprise manager it is updatable.
It is possible to add new records in access and these are then updatable but any of the old records remain untouchable.

Really need to get this sorted as soon as possible so any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Mark.

OK first, in Access you need some kind of unique identifier for each record (primary key, identity field, GUID, etc.) for Access to let you updata a linked SQL Server table. Do you have this?

Second, have you made any changes to your structure on the SQL Server backend? If so you may need to relink the tables as Access will not reflect this structure automatically. I don't know if this will fix your problem, but it doesn't take long and is worth a try.

Third, have you posted this question inthe Access forums? You might find better help there if my first two suggestions are not the problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
I've already got a joint primary key. I have been making changes to the back-end but i've re-linked the tables and this still doesn't make any difference. Any other ideas?

If not i'll post it in the access forum.

I'd try the Access forum. I note you said it stopped working implying that it used to work? I would investigate the changes made immediately before it stopped working, perhaps a clue lies there.

Hi
Just had a similar problem
Even with an Identity column, you still need to set the Access Index key as well for that column
Then it should work
Regards
Hans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back