Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table name parameter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jascra

Programmer
Jul 9, 2002
I would like to use a parameter for the table name. I have a database that creates tables based on a date and location and sets the table name to this. This way, there will be several new table names created every month. The fields are always identical. I therefore need the table name to be sent into CR via a parameter. I do not create the reports with any programming outside of CR. Is there any way to use a parameter for the table name?

Thanks

No.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

If this is not possible, do you have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish what I want besides myself running this report every month and having to change the table names?

I have not created any stored procedures before, but I am willing to learn. Would it be possible to create a stored procedure that receives the table name as a parameter, and base the CR report on the stored procedure? If so, where would be a good place to start learning about stored procedures?

Thanks

Actually, you can do this if you use a command as your datasource. Open a blank report->select "add command" at the top of the table list, and then create a string parameter within the command (on the right). Then set up the command like this:

Select {?table}.`field1`, {?table}.`field2`
from {?table}

Or even more simply (if you are only using one table):

Select `field1`, `field2`
from {?table}

The punctuation depends upon your datasource.

-LB

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to do, and it worked. You are a great help.

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back