Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Joins In COGNOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swathi37

Vendor
Dec 23, 2002
US
Hi,

I am new to Cognos. My question is how to link two tables in COGNOS to get the result from both the tables.
For ex: There are two tables EMP and DEPT with common field DEPTNO.
My output should be from both the tables displaying EMPNO, EMPNAME, DEPTNAME,LOCATION.

Please help me out. Thanks in advance.

You will have to have someone set the catalog up with the relationships. It will automatically pull the relationship if that is the case. If not you have to add one of the columns and then within the query tool under the filter tab you have to create an equals statement. The Filter tab is the same as your where clause in a SQL statement for the given field you are working on.

Table joins are commonly done in Impromptu with the Admin version under the Catalog menu option for 'Joins'. The product supports equi-joins, outer joins, and other join parameters created by using the 'definition' radio button, rather than the default 'diagram' button.

Hope this helps,

Dave Griffin
The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ20-2863 first!

Thanks a lot for your responses. I could do it. Thank you once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back