Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table deleted, file size remain big! Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciel220

Programmer
Jan 12, 2001
CA
Hi,

I have a .mdb file with few tables in it. For some reasons, the size of my .mdb file is huge.

Originally, I have a 8MB data table in my database. I duplicated this table (within my database) and I find that the size of my database growths to 16MB. I then deleted the duplicated table. What I find is, even after I delete the table, my .mdb file size remains as 16MB.

This happens before and I find that even I delete a table, the file size doesn't decrease. Does anybody know how to release the memory? Does Access hold the memory somewhere? The file size now is too large and I have to shrink it. Please help!!!!

ciel

Have you tried compacting and repairing the database? Find it under Tools, Database Utilities, Compact, then Repair.

Yeah, one thing to know about Access is that deleting stuff does not shrink the file, you always have to compact to regain that wasted space. This means that it's best to come up with other things to do, when possible, instead of duplicating a table in the database, etc. Also, it means that it's best to avoid temp tables and temp records.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing and building Access databases since 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back