Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

table corruption in access database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryd

Programmer
Jan 30, 2001
US
A table in my database keeps corrupting. The error I get when trying to rebuild is: Could not find field 'Description'. The rebuild fails. and I have to restore the database. This has happened twice in the last 2 weeks.

If I try to open the table in access 2000 I get a message:
This object requires a newer version for the microsoft jet database engine.

The table has about 150 fields. I have no idea as to what might be causing this corruption.

You could have answered your own question there I am afraid, 150 fields is a great many for one table, have you tried splitting the table in seperate entites and joining the via relationships ?

go to and do a search for JetComp.exe this exe is better at repairing and compacting than Access it self when i comes to corruptions in tables etc.

I'm assuming your corrupted database was created in Access 97? You might try to export the corrupted table to a new database and try the compact/repair utility. Sometimes you can repair a database this way. The Access 2000 error may be occurring because Access 2000 uses the Jet 4.0 database engine and Access 97 uses the Jet 3.51 database engine. Go into a code module and change your reference from DAO 3.51 to ADO.

I have had the same problem - my Access 2000 database gives the error "Could not find field 'Description'" when I try to compact it or make it an MDE. I converted it from 97 and I thought that might be the problem, so I started a NEW ACC2000 database and started re-designing the forms in there (it was time for an overhaul anyways). But now the new database is doing the same thing as before, AND I DON'T HAVE A SINGLE TABLE IN THERE YET! Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back