Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table centering using <div class=''></div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

venetianjigsaw

Programmer
Mar 25, 2005
US
I am trying to center a table and know I need to use <div class=''></div>. Here's my problem: I have a menu that was written in JavaScript and is using <div style=''></div> for placement. I would like to center the table, but am finding it a "hard row to hoe!" Any suggestions?

<div style="position: absolute; top: 10px; height: 27px; z-index: 1;" id="mainmenu" >
<table border='1'width='80%'>
<tr>
<td bgcolor='#0099FF' height='6.75'></td>
<td bgcolor='#333399' height='6.75'></td>
<td bgcolor='#CCCCCC' height='6.75'></td>
<td bgcolor='#0099FF' height='6.75'></td>
<td bgcolor='#333399' height='6.75'></td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td width='100' style='text-align:center;'><a class="menu" href="javascript:void" onclick="window.location.href='aboutUs.htm';return false;"
onmouseover="FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf1',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf2',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf3',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','show');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf4',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','hide'); FP_changeProp(/*id*/'menubg',0,'style.visibility','inherit','visibility','show')"><span class="font">About Us</span></a></td>

<td width='100' style='text-align:center;' ><a class="menu" href="javascript:void" onclick="window.location.href='news.htm';return false;"
onmouseover="FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf1',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','hide');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf3',0,'style.visibility','visible','visibility','show');
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf4',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','hide'); FP_changeProp(/*id*/'menubg',0,'style.visibility','visible','visibility','show')"><span class="font">News</span></a></td>

<td width='100' style='text-align:center;'><a class="menu" href="javascript:void" onclick="window.location.href='qstatim.htm';return false;"
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf4',0,'style.visibility','visible','visibility','hide'); FP_changeProp(/*id*/'menubg',0,'style.visibility','visible','visibility','show')"><span class="font">QStatim</span></a></td>

<td width='100' style='text-align:center;'><a class="menu" href="javascript:void" onclick="window.location.href='partners.htm';return false;"
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf4',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','hide'); FP_changeProp(/*id*/'menubg',0,'style.visibility','inherit','visibility','show')"><span class="font">Partners</span></a></td>

<td width='100' style="text-align:center;"><a class="menu" href="javascript:void" onclick="window.location.href='contactUs.htm';return false;"
FP_changeProp(/*id*/'leaf4',0,'style.visibility','hidden','visibility','hide'); FP_changeProp(/*id*/'menubg',0,'style.visibility','visible','visibility','show')"><span class="font">Contact Us</span></a></td>
</tr>

</table>
</div>

Thanks!!!

I've not tested this, but give it a whirl anyway. Change this:

Code:
<div style="position: absolute; top: 10px; height: 27px; z-index: 1;" id="mainmenu" >
<table border='1'width='80%'>

to this:

Code:
<div style="position:absolute; top:10px; height:27px; z-index:1; width:80%; margin:0px auto 0px auto;" id="mainmenu">
<table border="1" width="100%">

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

Thanks Dan...that seemed to do the trick. One additional question: I am having trouble centering my menu field titles. They do center when the width is reduced. However, I have tried using <div class=''></div>, style='text-align:center', and any other centering technique that I can think of...nothing seems to work. Also, I even used images in place of the text, but still ended up with the same result. Any clues or advice that you can provide would be great!

Thanks

Well - you have the width set to 100, so it will only center within that width.

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

According to one source I found, margin:auto only works in strict mode, not in quirks mode (at least for IE6):
I also found a method to make margin:auto work in IE5.x and IE6 in quirks mode here:
I also found this quote: "When centering an div using margin:auto, in Netscape 6+, if you reduce the screen width to less than the width of the div, you get a negative margin on the left hand side of the screen."

The fix is to add a min-width to the div.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

tsdragon,

I used the links and tried your recommendations, but unfortunately, this is not the fix. Thanks for your assistance. I'll keep pluggin' along and hopefully, I'll get this straightened out.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back