Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Table Alias

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCOEN

MIS
Feb 25, 2004
IE
Hi, I have a table that contains firstname and surname data for candidates and managers so I need to create a table alias when requesting data such as a candidates manager and the candidates name. If I add the table twive crystal creates an alias but I can't query successfully anyone got any tips?

Please explain what do you mean by:

"If I add the table twive crystal creates an alias but I can't query successfully "?

Did you change the table name into the query?

Kchaudhry

When i run a query that contains 2 aliases for the same table it doesn't return any data. I can't see where I might be going wrong. Is there anyplace in crystal that shows errors encountered when running the query created?

How are you linking the tables?

Always a good idea to include the following information in your posts:
1) Crystal version,
2) Database/Connectivity,
3) Sample Data,
4) Expected output

-dave

CRYSTAL LINKS THE TWO ALIAS TABLES AUTOMATICALLY (crystal 10).

You really need to provide the information Dave has requested. This is will help you get quick help. Please provide the information requested and also what fields are linked in these two tables(when crystal does smart linking)?

Kchaudhry

But is it linking them correctly?

In your table, I assume you've got a CandidateID field and a ManagerID field. That should be the link between the main table and the alias table. If you let Crystal handle the linking automatically, it's likely that it attempted to link every single field.

-dave

Hi,
Do not be misled by the term 'Smart Linking'..It is anything but..

It uses field names ( or, in some cases, key fields) to link tables and will link every same-named field regardless of what you may really want to link.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back