Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T7406e cordless causing feedback on PA system

Status
Not open for further replies.

almostretired

Vendor
Jan 20, 2004
I have a customer whose T7406 phone finally gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a T7406e which now works almost too well. It is in a noisy location in a printing shop and the PA system is quite loud so employees can hear over the constant noise. I tried adjusting the "noisy location" settings to no avail. I found that black electrical tape over the transmitter cured the problem by totally eliminating all transmission. A small hole in the tape made by a small paper clip re-introduced the feedback.

The customer doesn't want to drop the level of the P.A. system as employees then complain of not being able to hear the pages. Has anyone had success in similar circumstances. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Retirement is a euphoric state of mind. It can be faked.

Valcom makes a Digital Delay Unit which lets you put in a page and when you hang up the phone the unit sends it out to the speakers. (NO FEEDBACK)

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

Cotton might work though it would have to be taped in place as there is no real "hole" at the transmitter to try to stuff. Also, it can't be bulky or the phone won't sit in the charger. I had tried earlier with packing case foam.

Viking also makes a paging feedback eliminator, basically a delayed paging but it can also repeat the page a second time. I think it is around $250. We have had good success with them in the past. You can page standing directly under a speaker because it records the page then plays after you hang up.

Second what Mountainbear said about Viking. I have ours in a foundry/machine shop setting and it works fantastically.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Feed back is sound that is picked up from the speaker and re amplified and broadcast again and again and again in a loop until it gets really loud and annoying.

If you put a resistance in the loop it will drop the level of the background sound each time it goes around keeping it from building up to the squeal that we hear . Try a variable resistor or pot to help figure how much attenuation you require to stop the feedback. It worked for me.
I don't remember exactly what I used or how many ohms but I think it may have been a volume control by BURTEK .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back