Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T7406e(cordless) call drops to one way audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

puttwill

Vendor
Aug 19, 2012
US
My client has a MICS system and wanted to add a phone to a location that's hard to wire. We are trying out a T7316e and might add some more if they like it. I've never worked with these, so forgive me if this is a common or known issue. I dug through the old posts but couldn't find anything. Here is the issue my client sometimes experiences...

While in the middle of an incoming call, the T7316e will make a noise(I have yet to experience so don't know what the noise is), then goes blank. Caller can still hear my client but my client can not hear the caller. After about a minute, the call returns to normal. Is this possibly just a bad phone? Almost seems like maybe a loose connection on the phone. Thanks.

Why did you mention "that's hard to wire"?
Is there a relation? something else we should know about?

-Do you mean the display goes blank? or goes quite?
-Is this a new, refurbished or remanufactured set?
-Is it a T7316 or T7316e?
-What software version is the MICS?
-Was there a phone previously in that jack and did it work ok? if so then what model was it?
-Does the T7316 work in another jack ok?
-What is the estimated distance from the KSU to the phone? is it over 1000 feet? if so installing a CAP PS to the orange pair would help boost the signal.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

In looking for the answers to your questions, discovered I put the wrong model number in original title. I am talking about the T7406 or T7406e cordless system.

I only mentioned the hard to wire as why we are trying a cordless rather then adding a new jack and corded phone. I see now that you prolly thought I was talking about a corded phone so now your question makes sense.

-Do you mean the display goes blank? or goes quite?
I am not sure on this point. The person who uses the phone went home for the day already when I got here. I'm trying to replicate but unable. I'm assuming she means goes quite.

-Is this a new, refurbished or remanufactured set?
Refurb from Telephone Magic

-Is it a T7316 or T7316e?
So now i'm very confused. I'm not sure where T7316 came from. Sorry for adding confusion. The phone is T7406e or T7316. We ordered the T7316e but there's no model number on inside phone under battery. So don't know how to tell.

-What software version is the MICS?
sp: 30nc620 nat

-Was there a phone previously in that jack and did it work ok? if so then what model was it?
Brand new phone port not used before on this site. I programmed it with a M7310

-Does the T7316 work in another jack ok?
I'm unable to replicate issue so currently unable to answer this

-What is the estimated distance from the KSU to the phone? is it over 1000 feet? if so installing a CAP PS to the orange pair would help boost the signal.
Roughly 15 ft.

Ok looked at the base station and that model number is t7406e

Well T7406e explains the "hard to wire".

"Roughly 15 ft."
lol
Ok so now to be clear I ask, how far is the phone from the "base".
Maybe they are walking out of range? it might exhibit that symptom (act up) ,then when they get back in range all is good?

30ncG20 is a MICS R1T1 software, first version software for MICS.

The compatibility sheet only shows T7406 which works with R1T1, there is no mention of T7406e.
An old friend of our RikRogers says he had T7406e working on R1T1 in a thread, but who knows if it eventually had issues as it was new at the time...year 2007

Wiseman once said run Forest run
I stopped promoting/selling the Nortel T7406/e Cordless's long ago due to the amount of issues.
I currently use the Nortel Digital Mobility solution, replacement for Companion, no issues.
For 1-4 cordless sets I recommend the Eugenius, it's analog so not all the features but it works, and very long range.
If your into going cheap, dropping phones and buying them over and over again, maybe V-tech?

Cons:
Analog cordless phones require an ATA
In place of Feature button you must do Flash/Link * then the code.
No line Appearance
No Caller ID (but works when using them on BCM50/450)

What could you try? it appears not to be software/programming.
Aside from block/concrete walls and long distances...
-Another port on the KSU
-Check the antenna's on set and base are good, somehow.
---Range symptoms on display: Out Of Range, Scanning, Intermittent beeps
-If they have another on site then register to that base.
-Try it on a newer version software/system

On thought, battery issue?
The small cordless batteries these days do not have a long shelf life, perhaps its a little weak to keep up.

Outta Ammo!

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Yes, 15ft from the base to the phone. The phone closest and the room they are in are only separated by a hallway, but it's an old fire station and the walls are double concrete block all the way up. I told them we could run molding down the concrete for a jack but they didn't like that idea. The phone works just fine for me clear over to their other building. Next thing I'm going to try is to watch the user as I was unable to replicate based on what she said happened. I suspect she's bumping a button. Will also see about firmware upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back