Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T7406 confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajntek

Programmer
Oct 22, 2003
US
A customer of mine purchased a refurbished T7406. It did not come with the installation manual. I have already assigned a digital port and gone through the set up process as described in the user guide. When I get to 4. Set SS code I receive a Send Error! I reset the power and hold the OK button as it describes in the guide and I get the same thing. My question is: If this is a refurbished set that already has a SS code assigned, how do I see it, and if I go in and change it does it matter what I change it to? I get the ID #, but I don't understand the purpose of the SS code and if that is actually the problem.

Please Help!

Thanks,

ajNtek
[ponytails]

If the base station is new it needs to be assigned a SS code. You do this with the first handset you're assigning to the base station. SS code can be whatever you want to send it.

If its an existing base station and you are assigning another phone all you have to do is assign the handset an ID# and assign the handset the same SS code your base station has.

Assigning the Security Code
After you assign the handset ID # to a handset, you need to configure
the handset to a base station.
Follow these steps to assign a Security code to the handset.
1. Press the Options button.
2. Press show.
3. Press next until the display shows 4. Set SS Code
4. Press change to assign a security code to the handset. The display
shows enter password
5. Enter the six-digit password.
6. Press ok. The display shows press 6 digits
7. Enter the six-digit Security code.
The display changes to show the code as entered.
8. Press ok to accept the code.
The display shows 4. Set SS Code
If you are assigning a handset to an existing base, your handset is now
connected to the system.
If you are assigning the first handset to a new base station (which has
no security code), continue with the following steps:
9. The display shows 4. Set SS Code, press
next to get ready to
send the security code to the base station.
The display shows ,5. Send SS Code
10. Unplug the AC power adapter connected to the base station, and
plug it back in again.
11. Within 15 seconds, press and hold the ok button for five seconds.
This sends the Security Code to the base station. The display
shows send ok and you hear a beep when the transfer is
successful.
Note: If the Security Code transfer fails, the display shows send error! To correct this, repeat steps 9 and 10.
12. Press the Options button to exit the Option menu.
The display changes to show the date and time.

Thanks for the reply..the cordless phone and base station came together, so I don't know what ss code it was given previously. I've gone through the set up several times and I get the same results every time. I verified the dip switch settings were correct (Down, up, down)

any other ideas?

ajNtek
[ponytails]

If you are a Nortel dealer you can get the reset code for the password. If not call a Nortel dealer to get the password reset. The ss code is to set the handset to the specific base, (in case you have two norstars close together with T7406's).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back