Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T1 to E1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
I have an MICS here in the USA with a T1 circuit working now. We are opening an office in the UK with E1 service. Here in the US we are going to the Succession (comm server, whatever NORTEL is calling it this week)platform because of growth. My question is can I just ship the MICS and phones over and everthing work? I know I need to convert the power but is there any other thing to be concerned with.

I'm not exactly sure on the Norstar, but on the BCM you need to load the E-1 software on the MSC card. I'm certain you'll at least need to get UK software on the MICS. That can't be ordered in the US, you'd have to go through BT to get that.

Then theres the issue of support - if the UK vendor or Nortel notices that it was indeed a North American system, they won't support it.

I went through this a couple years back with a customer who wanted to take a BCM 1000 from the US and send it to London. In the end, they ended up buying a BCM from BT.

In a nutshell, you can use the phones over there, but it might be easier and less painful to buy a KSU in the UK and ship over your phones.

sorry Hawks- I would love to give you some answer, but I don’t know a thing about UK stuff. From the UK posts I have read in this forum, I would agree with Biv, in that the software is definitely different. I have noticed UK even has a different software release numbering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back