Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T1 Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlatt1283

Technical User
Nov 15, 2004
US
This is how I was taught to set up POTS line redundancy of a PRI line.

1. Set up a Time Profile to be 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week
2. Create a new LCR, using the above time profile
3. In the Main Route of the LCR, put your shortcodes for routing calls out over the PRI
4. In the Alternate Route 1 of the LCR, put the same shortcodes above, just with the line group ID of the POTS lines.

Is there anything I am missing? I have this set up, but it does not seem to work. If the PRI goes down, you just get a fast busy signal when you try to dial. I tried removing the shortcodes from the system short code list, and just having the shortcodes reside in the LCR, but that did not work at all. If anyone has any experience/suggestions, your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
dlatt1283

I just did the same today for the first time - you shouldn't need a time profile?

the ISDN30 wasn't installed yet - so only have 4 analogue trunks at the moment. I did as you did, except the time profile and all was ok. The line group ID of the analogue trunks with all the usual dial codes was put in the alternate route.

That worked OK but took an age to dial - I suppose it had to make sure there was no ISDN in - the 2420 phones just said "Waiting-for-line" - then after about 30 secs it dialled - so I took that all out and made all calls go over the analogue trunks. When ISDN is in that will be a good fail over.

Can you make calls over the analogue trunks full stop?

Yes. We can make calls out over the analogue trunks just fine. I guess we can try removing the time profile, maybe that will help

IPOUK,

In LCR - Main/Alt. Route there is Timeout which is set by default to 30 seconds, lower timeout and it will be fine...

Alternately, if you aren't using LCR for anything else, if you install the PRI card in slot A and your 4portLS card in slot B, you can simply make all your PRI channels and your LS lines be the same outgoing line group... it will use the PRI lines first, and if they are unavailable for any reason it will start using the analog.

Peter

Here's a question, if we're using a Phone 16 Module for the POTS lines, will that work the same way? Or, does it have to be the 4 port card in slot B?

hmmm. Never tried it that way, but probably. The IPO chooses lines that are in the same line group from the lowest trunk number up (backwards to how it should be doing it but hey, c'est la vie). Therefore, if slot A is empty and Slot B has the PRI, the PRI should still be a lower trunk number than the analog's in the ATM16 - so it should still try to grab PRI channels as its first choice. Really easy to check though, set it up that way and watch call status to see which lines are being selected first.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back