Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T1 keeps loosing lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

sciconnection

Technical User
Feb 8, 2004
US
ok, here it is.

I've got someone that keeps loosing line 001 on their T1. it is a fractional only 12 channels coming into the system. Line 001 is the only line that they seem to keep loosing (NO DIALTONE). The customer reboots the system and all is fine for alittle while then all the sudden it goes dead again. The service provider has done numerous tests on the T1 and all is clean.

The system is an 032 with 4.1 DTI card with 6 port fiber combo card. I am thinking the DTI card maybe going bad. Anyone have any thoughts or sugjestions to pin point the problem

SCI

My experience with the DTI cards is thwey are very reliable. If anything, I would deprovision the Line 001 & if everything has been running fine- then usually it is the local CO with a card problem for that channel. I have had a couple problems that I could not resolve with telco, that was my onl work-around which has not affected my customers.

The DTI is usually there- or NOT there.

Steve
tele-dataservices.com

I agree that the DTI card overall is very reliable and stands the test of time. If you aren't getting help from you Telco, I would agree with Sphoneman that deprovisioning Line 1 would get you proof that the other 11 are up and working properly. You could then swap the card and/or fight Telco to find and correct their problem. 4.1 SW w/ PRI has known and documented issues. Good Luck.

I have heard numerous times on this forum that the customer reboots his system when he has a problem. In my opinion this only compounds the problem and makes it more difficult for the technician to trouble shoot because when the technician arrives at the customer premise there is no problem. I then close my ticket with "No Trouble Found" and bill the customer for my time. I know I will be back a few days later for a "Repeat Trouble".

Honestly, rebooting tends to cure a ton of ills as well. If there is a problem occuring as this guy had with a T-1 then going into the Network Event log would tell you the story in short order.

I guess, it would just depend on the problem.

MRoberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back