Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T1 csu-WIC card on a 2621router question HELP!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

geranimo666

Technical User
Sep 19, 2006
US
Hello-

How can I make a csu T1 Wic to show up on at least one of the two line options.. I have the carrier telling me that they can do a loopback to the smartjack but not the csu-T1 card on my 2600 router.. I see a CD and AL light on the back of the card.. I go to the interface on the serial 0/1 and do a "no shut" command followed by a reload command.. the AL light doesn't clear on the card and when I do a sho int s0/1 here is what I get:

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Prot
ocol
FastEthernet0/0 172.16.1.6 YES NVRAM up up

Serial0/0 192.168.168.21 YES NVRAM up up

FastEthernet0/1 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

Serial0/1 192.168.1.10 YES NVRAM down down

Notice that s0/1 is down and down in both areas... what does this mean? how can I clear this and bring it "up".. does this mean that my T1 is bad ? shouldn't at least one of them show up?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
geranimo

router>en
router#conf t
router(config)#int s0/1
router(config-if)#no shut
router(config-if)#^z
router#

This would do the trick, except now I see that the interface is down and not administratively down, which means you probably did a no shut on the interface...nevermind---this means a bad cable, not plugged in, a bad card, card not seated all the way or a bad whatchamacallit that the WIC slides into on the system board. This is definitely a layer one problem though...by the way, line protocol is layer 2 stuff.

Burt

Yes Burt, agreed

I've switched out three different T1 cards on the router but when I do a sho int s0/1, i get the down down results.. is there a way to clear the s0/1 settings on this interface and start over? I can't necessarily re-do the whole router as there are other interfaces fa0/1, s0/0 etc doing other "live" things..

Just a thought.. The other cards are working but for some reason this interface slot is just not allowing 3 different cards I've tried to go in the "up" position.. Is there a way I can show my manager proof that this slot may be "bad"?. I did a sho controllers but it gave back hardware info, something significant I could use to prove that this slot (serial 0/1) is potentially bad

Any info would be greatly appreciated
geranimo

Well, do you have a T1 card in the s0/0 slot? If so, the thing to show your boss would be the fact that 3 different cards work in the s0/0 slot, but not the s0/1 slot. That to me would be definitive proof that either the 1FE mainboard port adapter (the whachamacallit that I couldn't think of) is bad, which is probably the case, or maybe something on the system board. I'm not too hip on show commands that might give you a clue---I've always troubleshot hardware problems by using my instinct, and I'm usually right (lol). There is the "show diag" command...trhat may point out something. Hope this helps.

Burt

Do you have a loop plug? If so plug in directly into your WAN card or insert a straight cable and plug the loop plug on the other end. Down and down is a physical issue. You just need to isolate and trouble shoot it correctly.

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

CCNA,CCNP,Network+
Tek-TIP Member 19,650
[americanflag]

I don't remember the command, but there is a command available to test the WIC. It might even be "test service-module" or something like that. Maybe give that a shot to see if tests okay internally.

Does the same circuit work if you move it to a different card on a different port?

is the wic you have in the s0/0 slot the same as the wic in the s0/1 slot?

is it possible your just forgetting to define the time-slots that you should be using and that the other one is using an external csu?

Yes plshlpme..

Normally i don't have to set up service-module and timeslots when I'm dealing with a point to point T1.. unfortunately in this scenario I did need to.

The other side of the T1 (other site) the csu was set up on the smart jack, not the router.. so assumingly on THIS side (my router here) I had to set up service-module and 1-24 timeslots.. this almost burned me with the customer!
Hey, but doesn't this mean that they are using a fractional T? just curious but I always thought that you didn't need to set up these channels on the serial interfaces when dealing with a private T1 (Point to Point)

Please advise if I'm wrong here and thanks for the info
geranimo

A fractional T1 is simply a full T1 where you use only certain timeslots. You have to configure how many timeslots you're using even if you're using all of them.

I hear ya, I guess what I'm saying is that I've configured two 1761 Cisco routers which were used for a T1 point to point and I definately didn't use time slots or the service-module command and it worked fine..

This means I won't know when to use this command and when not to if this particular project crosses my path again.. A bit confused here..

geranimo

You were probably using a WIC that does not support fractional T1 services. In that case, there would be no command to specify the timeslots.

have you tried the obvious 'test' commands

router#test interfaces

See if anything comes up?

i think a loopback test facing the S interface of the router should be performed first. pls follow jeter's advice.

Thanks to all here!
All this really needed was to have service-module and timeslots setup, I assumed because the customer stated it was a "full and private T1" that I didn't need to set these features up.. I had configured a project a while back using 1761 Cisco routers and running a point to point T, I didn't need service-mod and/or timslots settings, just setup my IP and subnet addresses, then setup EIGRP with a AS and I was golden.
However, this situation was different and I will know better for the future..

I also learned about what pins to punch down on a 66 block, for those that care to know it is 1-2 and 4-5 pairs.. doesn't matter what colors you use as long as you are consistent from the block to the router rj-45 head.

You live and you learn

geranimo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back