Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

t I keep getting "compile error in hidden module: WinFaxPrintAndMerge".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomama46

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
US
I am running W7 64 Professional + Office 2000 Premium. I recently installed Win 7 and Win Fax pro 10.0. Then I realized that Win fax wasnt gonna run on this OS so I uninstalled it. 9unsuccessfully,using the uninstaller in Windows control panel.
Now when I open any Word window I get this message, click it and it goes away.
I have removed the "wfwrd2k2.dot " from the start up folder of office. I have cleared out all of the Semantic, Winfax, entries in the registry. Also searched the entire root drive for any mention of the winfax program and still the message persists.
Lastly I uninstalled Office, rebooted and reinstalled it. Same-o same-o.
Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

pc.gif

Jomama

do a search on your drives - you may still have wfwrd2k2.dot somewhere where word is picking it up. (use something like agent ransack to search, not the normal windows search)

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

pc.gif

Jomama

Nope, tried all variations of wfwrd2k2.dot including .*. searched all drives. hidden folders,
any other ideas? Damn that Norton!

pc.gif

Jomama

I suspect that normal.dot is the real culprit. Hunt down and kill normal.dot. Word will create a new, clean copy for you

In theory on W7 it should be here: C:\Users\<yourID>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

Found it, deleted it. No joy. Restarted. Its back, as you said, but problem still exists. I could only find that copy searching the entire drive including the backup.

pc.gif

Jomama

using wf*.* I found "C:\Users\Al King\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup\WFWORD2K.DOT"
there is the same wfword2k.dot in the recycle bin, so it must be the same as wfwrd2k2.dot? Cant be. different spelling.
Anyway I was going to delete it but cant find it, in windows explorer I can only find as far as C:\users/Al King. No AppData. No Local or/virtual story. But program files (x86)etc is where I found the original wfwrd2k2.dot file that I deleted.
What is the next step.

pc.gif

Jomama

OK, it was a hidden file. I went to file options and checked "show hidden file" Then AppData appeared. I followed the path above and there was that dirty dog! I deleted it and now the problem is gonzo.
Thanks for all the help.

pc.gif

Jomama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back