Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

T-Card Dual Port db9 wiring configuration for Fibre Channel Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

awretchlikeme

Technical User
Dec 17, 2001
US
Does anyone know how to setup the wiring for a dual port db9 t-card to run 200MBSec instead of just 100MBSec? Sorry for my lack of knowledge I am reading information from books, and testing from t-cards I bought on the internet.
Jesus and GOD Bless! Jeff Vincelette c/o The Cross Training Center

Dual Port Fibre Channel uses separate hubs for each host bus adapter ported to port one and port two with db9 loopbacks to terminate the db9 or other connectors. The separate pathway does not allow faster communication,i.e. 100 Megabyte/sec. transfers but allows redundant disk access from secondary servers and or p.c.'s to copy or access data on the same jbod, raid etc. Unless you have access to striping software to combine the fibre channel host bus adapters there is no way to increase the throughput beyond 100 Megabytes per second. Basically you need to stripe drives any way to achieve real 100 Megabyte per second access on read and write without disk cache utilization. if each drive has 20 to 30 Megabyte per second disk access then you need 5 to 4 drives to reach 100 Megabyte per second combined disk (raid 0,1,0+1 or 10 performance. Making your own dual port t-cards is reasonable as each t-card costs about 3 to 5 dollars to make which is 60.00 to 100.00 dollars per 20 drives. Pre-made t-crds on e-bay and others are being sold at sick and wrong prices of 20.00 ea. for single port 5 packs and 40.00 to 50.00 ea. for single and dual port t-card adapters. Plus you must purchase or make your own db9 or similar cables which is not cost effective at 15.00 - 20.00 per cable which includes shipping costs. 20 drives is 300.00 to 400.00 for cabling which is too long to for the connections, as the jbod only requires 4" cabling using cat5 or higher hand made versions. Eventually I will publish the t-card diagrams, jbod, raid info. on the web for others to use. The raid 0 stripes are faster for multimedia, game loading etc. and great for audio mpeg video bible tracts which are slower on a single ata drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back