Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system32\drivers\pci.sys is missing or corrupt 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

handle87

Programmer
Jun 27, 2005
CA
Hi,

Out of the blue I am getting the error message:

system32\drivers\pci.sys is missing or corrupt

Things I have done:
- I have not added anything new to my pci
- I have swapped the memory modules
- I have tried removing the pci devices
- I cannot boot into safe mode.. get the same error

anyone have an idea of where to loo next?

Thanks, that's what I am just beginning to try.. ill let you know.

It seems as though I might be having a problem with the drive? after booting to the cd and hitting enter on the first screen then I accepting the license agreement I go directly to the partitioning page... i think it is supposed to detect a windows installation instead of going to the partitioning page... any ideas..

I have also pressed r on the first screen when i boot to the cd but i am unable to dir at the c: promt.. i tried using the expand command and i get access denied..

any ideas.. questions?

It should have found the existing windows installation. I agree with you, some issue with the drive.

In the interest of completeness, I would consider using Recovery Console.

In particular, you appear to have some registry corruption. The following has proved helpful, although in Recovery Console a chcdsk /r would be advised as a first step. Then do:

(A plain English version of this KB article: )

But I suspect a drive issue. Often cleaning the cable connections to the drive can help.

My best wishes,
Bill Castner

Ya, i just put the drive into another pc and on boot up, it is saying file record segment xxxx is unreadable... any suggestions of what i might try to rivive this drive without formatting?

Some reading here.

319136 - "Pci.sys Is Missing or Corrupt" Error Message When You Start Windows

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

XP cannot start. Windows\Drivers\PCI.SYS corrupt or cannot be found
thread779-206126

Your drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to thoroughly check the condition of your drive, in case it is faulty.

You may be able to use something like BartPE to copy a new file into your installation?

Cannot logon to winxp...losing lots of valuable documents
thread779-975236

File Record unreadable.

Alternate way to ChkDsk if unable to perform it from within BartPE or Recovery Console.

Download NTFSDOS Pro (Read-Only) (1.8MB) by Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell

NTFSDOS Professional (free, read only version) also comes with NTFSCHK, a tool for running the Windows NT/2000/XP CHKDSK program from within MS-DOS. NTFSCHK allows you to verify and repair the NTFS disk structure in case of accidental corruption.

This can be run after booting from any 9x or XP MS-Dos startup floppy.

NtfsChk will only check and repair NTFS partitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back