Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System wont send mail to itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkick

ISP
Apr 15, 2001
US
I've setup a PHP script called phpformmail. It is a simple little program that lets you create email forms on your site. Well, I added a form to my web site foobar.org, and made the recipient webmaster@foobar.org, but when I submit the form, it wouldn't send to the email.
I changed the recipient of the form to webmaster@AnotherDomain.com and it worked just fine!
Why is it that sendmail wont send email to a site hosted on the same server? Thanx

Hello there, what exactly is your error message that indicate to you not able to send to its own server?

Did you configure your sendmail.cf file properly via sendmail.mc?

In the .mc file, it should indicate MAILER(local)dnl in the last part of the file BEFORE MALIER(smtp)dnl

See if that helps and if not, indicate more to me what it is and I can help you!! Good luck!!

Tedson99 :p

Hi spinkick,
I'm almost willing to bet that the mail was sent to root@localhost.localdomain. I was having that problem to then for the heck of it, i typed mail as root in my terminal and low and behold, guess what I saw. You'll have to check the configs in /etc/sendmail.mc then when you're done editing, you'll have to use m4 to make the sendmail.cf file. Type this from your terminal:

m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf

If after reading all the docs and FAQs you are as lost as I am, go to and download Webmin. It's a lot like linuxconf but it doesn't mess up sendmail like linuxconf does and it helps you along the way so you don't have to keep going back to the docs.

"Now go do the right thing"

I don't get an error message. Here's my situation. I am currently having email forwarded to Everyone.net (a web-based email provider). If foobar.org points to my server, then the mail for that domain is routed to everyone.net's servers via mx record.
So, I don't really have any email on MY server... cuz I can't get it set up to work with multiple domains... arrggh... probably should get that problem fixed first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back