Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System won't come up

Status
Not open for further replies.

russz

MIS
Feb 7, 2001
US
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

System is a HP 9000 L1000
Newly loaded HP-UX 11.00 including HP-UX 11.0 Support Plus
dated Dec. 2000
Installed a few patches.
Installed Oracle 8i

When I reboot, the system gets stuck at the same place everytime...

Boot
: disk (0/0/1/1.2.0.0.0.0.0;0)/stand/vmunix
6459392 + 858104 + 974288 start 0x214360

alloc_pdc_pages: Relocating from 0xf0f0000000 to 0x1faab000
Russell Zimmermann
EYT - LAWSON Development

Resolved, sort of...

The server came up after 25 min. A co-worker had attached an external disk array attached to
ext_bus SCSI C896 Fast Wide LVD with H/W path of 0/0/1/0

Suspecting a possible conflict with the DVD-ROM (just a guess) I detached the DVD-ROM from
ext_bus SCSI C896 Ultra Wide Single-Ended with H/W path of
0/0/1.2.0

So now I can use the external disks, as long as I don't re-connect the DVD-ROM. Russell Zimmermann
EYT - LAWSON Development

I'm wondering if it is the SCSI ID of the two devices that are causing problems. If so, you might be able to change the SCSI ID of the DVD-ROM so there won't be a conflict when you reattach it. Check the DVD's doc for how to do that. There usually is a little counter type thing on the back of the device that sets the ID.

If this is your only CD on the system, you might have a hard time loading software on the system unless you are set up with SDUX.

I'm hoping someone else will confirm my suspicions about the possible cause of this problem. unixqueen or mikelacey?

This stage is normal within the HP-UX boot process on a L Class server.
How long did you leave it sitting on that screen?
As the other gentlemen have said sometime it can take up to 25 - 30 minutes.
The line:
alloc_pdc_pages: Relocating from 0xf0f0000000 to 0x1faab000
Simply means a page de-allocation action by the server, we used to have to do this manually on D class Servers.
Please let the machine run its course.
It should have nothing to do with adding new pieces of hardware, that will come next during the ioinitrc bit.
Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back