Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System V IPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoSno

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
GB
Quick one.

Is their a Java library/API for System V IPC suite?

Jo

What is it ?! I doubt there is any core api.

It's the set of interprocess communication utilities in Linux, namely message queues, semaphores, and shared memory.

I don't see how you can doubt that one exists when you don't know what it is ;)

Jo

>>> I don't see how you can doubt that one exists when you don't know what it is

Because I've been programming Java professionally for several years, and would say I am at least aware of all the core API's in J2SE, the majority of API's in J2EE, and several non-standard API's out there, and I have never heard of an API that deals with "System V IPC".

Also, when I googled it, while not really reading what it was, I did catch that it seemed to be a Linux internal service, and considering that Java was designed for OS indepence, I doubted there would be a core API supporting a OS dependant service.

You may want to check out sleepycat.com, there appears to be a reference IPC in one of the javadoc's
There does seem to be alot more activity with PHP integration though :

Cheers for the reply, I didn't mean to be offensive. Hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

Your point on Java of course being platform independent settles it as far as I'm concerned. I'll have to use C++ I think. Shame.

Jo

:)

You could always write an interface in C/C++ and then use JNI to create a Java interface, and then publish it on sourceforge. The you'd have a Java API !

message queues
Look for a JMS implementation that provides services to Java apps for your message queuing.

semaphores
I don't know about this one -- Would the core Java classes not work for you?

shared memory
Look for a JCache implementation that provides shared memory services under your Linux system.

When I say "implementation", realize that much of Java is just a specification published by Sun. They provide a set of Interfaces and Abstract Classes which various vendors use to build libraries which perform their actions (message queuing, database access, etc). So when looking for something that does messaging, you want to choose a vendor that wrote to the Java API for messaging (JMS), and so any code that knows JMS can automatically use that vendors services.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back