Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System State does not appear in Win2K Backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CNRadmin

MIS
Oct 24, 2002
US
I have a few new servers that I am responsible for backing up that have joined an old Windows 2K domain I don't manage.

Once the servers join the domain, the system state check box doesn't appear in the list of things I can backup. Also, if I go thru the wizard and choose to backup only the system state data, once I click finish, it tells me I haven't selected any files to backup. I have tried running MS Backup as the local administrator, but still can't backup the system state data.

If I remove the servers from the domain, I then have the option to backup the system state data. I have joined the servers to the domain I manage (another W2K domain) and still have the ability to backup the system state, so the problem lies in some permission with the other domain.

I've looked through all the local policy and AD policies on the other domain for some setting that would hide/deny anyone the ability to backup the system state and cannot find anything. Anyone have any ideas or have seen this before?

Thanks!

One of my domain controllers does not allow Backup Exec to access the system state unless I change one of the policies in Security Options. The policy is "Additional Restrictions for anonymous connections". It was set to "do not allow enumeration of SAM accounts and shares" (this is more secure). It needs to be set to "None, rely on default permissions". This is less secure as it allows anonymous connections, but many backup programs require anonymous access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back