Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System State Backup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMC

MIS
Dec 9, 2003
US
This is a general backup question.

When you backup the system state on servers, what is the advantage of that?

If a server is corrupted and windows cannot load, you would have to repair windows and then restore the system state?
I wanted opinions on that.

For backup exec 10d, there is a selection for System State and Service State, I was under the impression that the System State backs up the services.

I have pretty much the same question and I have been reading that 1632 page manual but cannot seem to find the answer. So, add my name to the list.

Thanks and regards,
David.

System State contains Active Directory and SYSVOL data (on domain controllers), Certificate Services (where installed), IIS (where installed), the registry, system files which you can't otherwise backup, and some other bits.

If a server requires disaster recovery, you can reinstall Windows, then restore the drives and the system state to restore it to its pre-failure state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back