Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System shutdown when burning a DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

krreddy10

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2005
US
Hi All,

My system shuts down abruptly whithout any warning when I am burning a DVD/CD. I am using WIN XP, 512 RAM, 2.4 GHZ, 20 GB free disk.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
VK

My first guess is that it's a power supply problem. Is there any relavant information recorded in event viewer when this occurs? Start, run, eventvwr.msc

I ran eventviewer.msc and I do not see any relavant information recorded. Is there any specific file I need to look for.

Sounds like a THERMAL SHUTDOWN to me...

when burning DVD's and CD's, there is a heck of alot of heat produced, this needs to go somewhere... if the ventilation is bad within the PC, and the Thermal Thresholds settings in the BIOS are low, then PC will shut down, in order to safe itself...

to check this avenue, open up the PC, have a DESK fan blow onto the general area of the MoBo, then try to burn a DVD/CD if it does not shut down, then that was the case...

also check your TEMP settings in the BIOS...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

If there's nothing in event viewer, then it's definately a hardware problem that the operating sytem knows nothing about. Either not enough good power or excess heat.

What program are you using to burn DVDs and CDs? I know it sounds irrelevant, but I had an old NT pc that spontaneously rebooted everytime Roxio was used to burn. Installed CD Burner XP and the symptoms went away. How about firmware/drivers for the burner? Is everything up to date?
Just a couple more things to check.

While checking your Event Viewer, also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

If there is no "savedump" that linney refers to, that reinforces the hardware trouble idea and my guess is most likely a marginal power supply. 'Burning' requires more power than reading, if the power supply can't supply enough current, the voltages will drop to the point that the motherboard will shut the system off, probably quickly enough that there's no log entries. I've seen systems that would run OK for days, but die as soon as someone starts a CD or DVD burn. If you swap out the power supply and it still does it, your 'burner' is the next most likely suspect. good luck,
---Will

Aside from heat and power supply, also check your IDE configuration.

If the burner is on an IDE channel all by itself, make sure it is set as the master and attached to the end connector on the cable. A severe communications problem to the device can occur when the middle connector is used when there is only one device on the cable. Of course, this should still create a memory dump file, so it might not be your problem.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back