Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system reverting from domain to work group on reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midiean

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2001
US
I have a group of systems that have been added to a windows domain. The problem is that upon reboot, these systems revert to a workgroup. There is no event being logged to windows so we aren't sure what is causing this. Any Ideas?

we added these systems with a vb script distributed via zenworks 10.

This is an old post but it might give you a few things to check.

Solved: XP Workstation Unable To Join Domain

If the machines were added via script I suppose the most obvious thing to check is that of removing the machines and users from the Domain and then add both back manually without the use of any script. You could try it on one machine anyway to see if it makes the slightest difference.

Is there any Group Policy in place on these machines that prevents then from saving any settings when rebooted?

manual addition will also drop from the domain as well. That i am aware of, no group policy is set to prevent the changes on reboot.

Is it a problem with the Server then? Are you saying that since a certain date (or happening) you can no longer add any machine, and keep it connected, to the Server?

If you were to connect another never connected before machine (and user) to the Domain does that experience the same problem?

Have you thought about asking you question in one of the Server Forums where others are more likely to have come across this problem?

problem is no longer occuring. I suspect that someone that manages AD sent out a policy that screwed the domain registration of the systems up after reboot and then found out what problems were going on and reverted the GP to a previous incarnation. unfortunately, they'll never own up to it if that is indeed what happened. We did notice some wierd things happening in GP during this event, but never looked to see if it restricted domain access to the systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back