Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Restore Tab Missing On System Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevsim

Instructor
Apr 18, 2000
AU
My computer is running XP Professional with an SP3 upgrade, I can not access System Restore no matter what.

I have looked at many posts re this problem, no matter what I do, I can not achieve the System Restore tab showing on System Properties.

I have tried to start System Restore in Admin tools/Services with a message "Could not start the system restore service on local computer. Error 2 the system can not find the file specified".

I try Start/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore and receive the message "System Restore is not able to protect your computer, Please restart your computer and run system restore again".

I have run SP3 again, AVG, MalwareBytes, Spybot, AdAware and none show a problem.

I would appreciate some advise.

kevsim

Malware???!!! If you run Combofix and it comes back clean, I wouldn't be worried about malware. Also, GMER. Or how about this order if you really want to check things out:

1. RKill
2. MalwareByte's Anti-Malware
3. GMER
4 Combofix

If you are trying to delete copy System files, and you are doing it in the Windows environment are you running foul of the built-in system protection which automatically replaces files deleted from System32 with files already in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache folder?

You could try deleting files in the cache folder and replacing those relevant files before you attempt to do anything with the System32 folder.

Have you run the System File Checker too? Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Disable Windows File Protection (Windows 2000/XP) Popular

I deleted uTorrent and Recorder toolbars and another programme Easy Bits Go, between them it would then allow the process to copy the files and now I can run "rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %Windir%\Inf\sr.inf" which is supposed to rebuild System Restore, however it did not restore the tab after a reboot.

When I go to Administrative Tools\Services\System Restore Services it is turned OFF, I press START and message says "The system can not find the file specified", the path to the executable shows C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs.
I can not find this file.

I went to Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sr and sr was at 4, changed to 0 then rebooted.
Administrative Tools\Services\System Restore Services path to the executable still shows C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs.

System Restore is now working again

I thank you all for your efforts.
kevsim

Great to know you got it sorted.

One way Easy Bits GO gets into your machine is if you are running Skype and have allowed Skype Extras. You might want to uninstall Skype extras, which is easily done via add/remove programs. Also disable any Skype add-ons in IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back