Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Restore Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim36320

Technical User
May 10, 2003
US
My OS is XP Home. When I try to open System Restore, I get the message 'System Restore Has Encountered A Problem and needs to close.' I tried to do an install of sr.inf and when I do it asks for my SP3 Disc,and asks for the path, thats where I get lost. I have the disc in my Rom E drive, so I keyed in E:\WINDOWS\INF\i386, but it just goes into the mumble mode, I believe its looking for file sr.sys. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance
Jboy.

What CD are you giving it, an XP CD, or a SP3 CD? What do you mean by a SP3 Disk?

Search your CD and see if you are entering the correct location. You may have to set options in Folder Options to see Hidden and System files, and also in Search. Does the request for this file offer you a browse button where you can drill down and highlight the containing folder?

See if you can find your file in this location -
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

Will System Restore work from Safe Mode?

Also check these.

Q310405 - How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
Q302796 - Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

Thanks linney for your prompt response. When I try to do the install of sr inf it asks for the SP3 CD and then asks for the path. Still no luck figuring out correct path I tried the path C:\WINDOWS\ServicePack\Files\i386, that you suggested, no luck. And yes it does fail in Safe Mode. Any mre suggestions?
Thanks.
Jboy.

Have a bit of a look at this thread, see if there are any similarities even though it is talking about another program?

XP- System File Checker
thread779-1495177

Knowing the "exact wording" of any message would help in diagnosing this problem. When manually searching for these files, you may have to set two options in Folder Options (Control Panel) to show hidden files, and system files, before you can see them.

You might be able to repair System Restore by checking to see that the System Restore service in Services is set for Automatic and that it is running.

Or via some of these.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy (and hope that you don't end up down the path of that first link).

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back