Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System restart issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enkrypted

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
US
I was having problems with my old system shutting down at random. It got quite annoying so I finally had enough $$$ to spare, so I upgraded my computer. Now it appears that my system is no longer shutting down, but now it restarts at random. I've been doing alot of research to figure out what the problem could be, but to no avail. Now I am turning to you all for help. If you guys can help me to get to the root of the problem, I would greatly appreciate it. My system specs are as follow:

Gigabyte GA-8S648FX F2 (BIOS Date 5/30/2003)
P4 2.4Ghz 800Mhz FSB
Kingston Value RAM 512MB PC2700 DDR 333Mhz
Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1612
Lite-On LTR-24102B CD-RW
Western Digital 30GB HDD (WD300BB-00AUA1)
Western Digital 120GB HDD (WD1200BB-18CAA0)
Mitsumi 1.44 Floppy Drive
U.S Robotics 56K Voice Win 1806
Netgear FA310TX 10/100 NIC
MSI-MS-StarForce GeForce FX 5200
Windows XP Professional w/ SP1 and all necessary Windows Updates have been run.

I got the following information from the BIOS:

Current System Temp - 40C
Current CPU Temp - 36C
CPU Fan - Between 3000- 3100 RPM
Top Performance setting - Enabled

After the system reboots, the following errors appear:

The system has recovered from a serious error
A log of this error has been created
For more information about this error, click here.

When I click on that, another box appears with the following information:

Error Signature
----------------
BCCode:10000050 BCP1:E5357ED0 BCP2:00000001 BCP3:BF9EDD62
BCP4:00000001 OSVer:5_1_2600 SP:1_0 Product 256_1
To view technical information about this error, click here

When I click on that, another box with the following information appears:

The following files will be included in this error report
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini081903-03.dmp
C:\Docume~1\Admini~1\Locals~1\Temp\Wer1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

I've been doing research on this as well but so far have turned up emptyhanded.

Enkrypted
A+

Forgot to mention that the MB, CPU, RAM and PS are the new items I purchased. Everything else is my existing system. I also reloaded a fresh copy of Windows XP after installing the new parts. The power supply is a Kingwin 350W Dual Fan.

Enkrypted
A+

Possibly RAM, but the most likely cause is the paging file. Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP, wrote a while ago on a very similar user issue and suggested:

Use one of the three options.

Right Click the My Computer Icon/Properties/Advanced/
Performance/Settings/Advanced/Change. Set Page File to 0, ok your way out
and reboot. Then follow the same procedure and reset the Page File to
System Managed File.

Performance/Advanced/Virtual Memory/Change/No Page File. Reboot. Then
delete C:\Pagefil.Sys then revert the page file setting.

Performance/Advanced/Virtual Memory/Change. Set the swap file size to zero,
reboot. Re-set to System Managed, reboot. Reset the Custom setting,
reboot

I replaced the memory and did another fresh install of Windows XP. The system is still restarting at random, however I do not get any errors upon restart. Another thing thas has been noticed is whenever I am online playing Counterstrike or Star Wars Galaxies, the system will randomly and frequently close the application and crash back to the desktop. A bit more information on the system.

Running Norton Antivirus 2003 (up to date def.) and no virus found.

Running XP's incorporated firewall

Video card driver version is 43.45

I have try other version but the same problem exists.

Any help is appreciated...

Enkrypted
A+

Here are a couple other things to try with this rebooting problem. Check in your CMOS settings to see if you can disable on chip cache. If you can, disable it. Relax this is only temporary your system will run painfully slow, but see if you continue to crash and or reboot. If you don't you probably have bad cache on the CPU. The other thing to try is disabling Norton Antivirus when playing Counterstrike. It can sometimes cause RWE's (Random Weird Errors).

If all else fails I have a nice 20 ounce framers hammer. Guarantied to fix anything that ails a computer.

I have always been a fan of Norton but I went online and did a scan and it was faster and it caught viruses Norton didn't catch. I caught some from Kazaa. Here is the link I hope that helps,
Keep us posted,
Cindy

ok..if you did a fresh install of xp.and have norton...u need the new definitions..and win patch...for xp....there are several viruses that has not been caught by norton..the blaster worm is one... u can find it in the task processes...if so..u need to go to norton.com and download the tools for anything new....the viruses that are out right now..is blaster, whelcher, nachi, luvsan, spybot which kaaza is contributing to. the proceedure to remove it is at the bottom of norton's page...u have to go into safe mode..turn the restore off..run the virus tools. window update...and patch it..it will reboot into normal mode...do your norton updates after..the signs u are experiencing is definatly a virus....good luck

Ok..latest update on my situation.

I don't use programs like KaZaa or anything, but to be on the safe side I ran a virus scan anyways (from Norton and RAV both)and nothing was found. I tried to reset the page file and still no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions?(besides the framing hammer [smile]).

Enkrypted
A+

Only the old 'elimination' approach - which you've already been trying to an extent with new components. Disconnect sound/modem/network cards, CD writer & second hard drive. See if it will run without restarting. If no good, try swapping out graphics card too if possible. If success, reconnect devices one at a time, till you find the culprit (hopefully!). Assuming RAM and PSU ok as new (may be bad assumption!)

One other approach you could take (but as you've had this with different mobo/cpu, not likely) is to slow down (underclock) the processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back