Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2003
GB
Just checked System Resources, and find 52% used with nothing running, what uses up resources on my pc? if I could reduce the % would my pc run faster? tia
Cheers

see faq615-3144
and the section entitled there "Speed up your Win9x/ME machine" too.
let me just say also - Start > Run MSCONFIG and count how many startup items you have loading in the Startup Tab

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Thanks T/T4U - I'll take a look, been running like a snale for 2/3 months!! upped memory from 64 to 384 was a little better.
Well get back to you later Cheers - Mike...

hi Mike;
your welcome
Also Clear all the Caches;
in IE - delete the Temporary Internet Files (see below links)
-- In WINDOWS, delete the Contents only within --> History, Cookies, Recent, and Temp folders.
YOu may have a Virus and/or Spyware/Malware as well
See these faqs for more info - as well as this site
-- Faq760-3862
-- Faq608-4650

The RAM upgrade should help tremendously, but only when you're CLEAN [smile]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.

Hi TT4U - Thanke for the reply, I have
10k files on C: drive
10k files on My pc
600 on Documents
580 My documents
18 on Desk top
24 on srart up files is this too many? I dont want to delete them in error. I dont know how they got there in the first place!!!! Quiet new to these pc thingies still finding my way around ! help ....
On the C:/ (Back up file) its using 928,958kb!
Cheers Mike..

the "amount" of files doesn't matter, but the "free" disk space does . Start > Run Msinfo32
tons of info, but the firsat page in ight Pane will list Drives and disk space amounts
Are you running WinME? if so Empty 'most' of the _Restore folder so you only have last weeks worth. Sort by Date to help, by clicking the "Date" part of the Bar when viewing in Explorer
Start > Run DXDIAG general tab for some more system info

TT4U

Notification:

TT4U - Thanks I'll try n sort it this time, I'm running 98se
Cheers Mike...

oh yeh - In Windows Explorer (not IE) - use View menu >> Details to even have the Name, Type, Size, Modified, Attributes bars, to click on, to Sort (Modified is the "Date" one)

TT4U

Notification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back