Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Resources 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJR

ISP
Apr 22, 2000
US
My computer runs low : system 36%, User 36% GDI 45%, which I don't really understand, except sometimes I get the message to close some programs or the computer will stop. Closing programs does not help, and I usually have to restart it, but shortly thereafter I have the same thing with the Resource Meter. Do I need more RAM - have 160 or more GB...have 2.99 and using 1.48, or do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

What is MemTurbo? Is it just on WinME? :)

MemTurbo is a really cool geek tool. No, it's not a part of WinME. You can download a 30 day free trial from If you decide you want it, it's only like $20.

Thanks for the info...I read some of the reader reviews for MemTurbo on ZDN, and there were mixed opinions. Some thought it was the greatest and others said that it interfered with other programs & the auto run feature caused graphics problems.

How about your experience with this program?

BBsAmazon,

Your problem lies with Frontpage. Its notorious for memory leaks. On my old P2-400 with 128MB RAM, I'd nly get about 40 minutes of Frontpage 2000 use before I got the "low system resources" warning.

You might want to check out microsoft's homepage to see if there's a patch for Frontpage, and also make sure you've got Office SR-1 installed. It helps as well.

Knutsaq.

To MJR. My experience with MemTurbo has been great, especially for use with graphics type programs that really eat resources. The only I did notice is that it sometimes helped for me to close MemTurbo down when doing things like using DirectCD to access my digital camera pics before I had finalized the cd (it's a Mavica CD 1000), and my hubby had issues when he was accessing his Nino (serial link connection w/hand held organizer).

To Knutsaq,
Thanks for the info. I do have Office SR-1 installed. I will check to see if any patches on MS.

To: BBsAmazon

Thanks for your input...think I will give it a try.

Just one more thing that eats up a lot of resources and dont show up is your fonts. In the beginning I loaded all fonts available from Win 98, and then got low resources as soon as I started to work something little more than writing letters. Then somebody told me to skip most of the fonts and just keep the ones I really wanted. And that helped. I have 128 Mb RAM and 10 GB har, and now I am seldom down below 50% althogh I work graphics a lot.
Maybe you could check how manu fonts you have loaded since MS puts all the fonts in the RAM when starting (I think)
:)

Once in a while I think about all the fonts and then decide not to do anything because I am not sure which fonts to delete and which ones need to remain on the system. Basically, I only use 2 or 3 of them and know I could get rid of a lot of them. So, which ones are safe to delete?

Fonts: Fonts are a fairly large resource hugger - but the problem with fonts is that every time you boot your PC, the name of all the fonts on your PC are loaded into a set (and small) peice of memory. This is one of the greatest reasons for slowing down the booting of a PC. Also there amount of memory (as far as I can remember) for this is quite small, which means that the more fonts you have(*) the more likely your PC will not boot or show the right fonts.

(*) It's not actually the amount of fonts - it's the size of the names that takes up memory - less fonts with longer names causes the same problem.

%-) yes, be very careful which ones you delete. I found out the hard way not to delete the MS ones. When I did, most text presentations went whacky- and down to about 2 or 4 point text size. Needed a magnifying glass to see the letters !! Had to reconfigure a few things and go a few places that I never went before with tech support. It was in the early days of my computer association, about 2 years ago and I can't remember the specifics. (A great reason to write things down that help you fix problems.) Basically, don't delete anything with a Big Red A in the middle of the icon, (on 98 anyway)-these are fonts that seems to be part of the OS> I believe the A type fonts need a page description language to work with, whereas a True Type font has code written inside the font data itself and bypasses the need for a language to tell the printer what to print.

To Mcvp and Ersb right on with good info and insights, thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back