Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Recovery XP Home Pro for Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2007
US
I am trying to recover a Dell Desktop. OS is XP Home Pro and it's locked up can only get into it in safe mode only. I want to do a system recovery to restore it.. It's not like the HP where you click F10 and bam you have system recovery.. The only problem I have is the owner doesn't have the recovery CD is there anyway around recovery without a CD like the HP.. Dell is a much more complicated machine.

on a dell try to boot it up and as soon as you try start tapping the f12 key several times and then follow the instructions. if you have trouble Ill look further when I get home but as best as I recall that was it Kenny

Boot Device Menu in F12
1. Normal
2. Diskette Drive
3. Hard-disk Drive C:
4. IDE CD_ROM Device
5. System Setup
6. IDE Drive Diagnostics
7. Boot to Utility Partition
Ive tried them all and nothing to recovery

When it reboots it takes forever and goes straight into the Sys32 file and locks up with an error CFG32 "The TCP/IP protocol is not installed properly".. But it wont let me do anything after that comes up on the screen..

Thanks for you help

As long time Dell user, I might suggest that you suggest to the owner that he call Dell support and get a new recovery disk. If he gets the right people who answer he should have no problem getting a new recovery disk. If the wrong people answer and give him 32 reasons why they cann't help him, he should wait a while and call again and hope he's connected to a Dell rep who will be more helpful (2 out of 3 are).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back