Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System not booting due to memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgaskill1

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Hi,
I hava a Sun E280R with 4GB RAM - one of the 1GB memory modules has failed and now the box won't boot.

This is only a test box so could happily run with 3GB - is there a setting I need to change to enable the box to come up with the missing 1GB of RAM?

Cheers
Richard

I may be entirely off-base here, but I seem to recall that the modules need to be 'balanced' in even pairs, so removing the bad one and another may enable you to boot. Others with more detailed knowledge will hopefully confirm or refute this!

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

The E280 has 2 DIMM's group (group 0 and group 1)
A group must be populated with the same density .
Group 0 or group 1 can be populated for booting.
Example: if using 1Gb Dimm

Group 0 or group 1 must be populated with 4 1-Gbytes DIMMs'.

Some third party memory suppliers have lifetime warranty so if you call the manufacture they will ship you a replacement.

So if you only have one group populated and have no replacement then the E280 will not boot.

Yeah, I'm agreeing with Ken.

Try yanking another one of the RAM modules and see if that helps. Let me know if that doesn't work.

Is it a module failure or does it ust need a re-seat.

Mark the suspect module and then swap it with another module in a different slot. See what happens.

Thanks for all the replies on this one. I've replaced the failed memory and now working ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back