Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System.mdw file on network server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpalazzi

Technical User
May 2, 2000
US
I have an Access 2000 database that I created from my pc and saved on the network drive.

I ran the security wizard and created a workgroup information file. I created the 7 user accounts I needed. Then I created shortcuts on all the users desktops, pointing to the database on the network drive.

When I open the databse I get prompted for my user name and password, but when my users open the database, they get no prompt.

I tried copying the sytem.mdw file to one users default location of C:\program files\common files\system but that didn't work either.

What do I need to do?
Kimberly Palazzi
kpal29@hotmail.com

Try placing the following at the end of the shortcut path to the database....

/Wrkgrp "Path to .mdw file like C:\My Documents\test.mdw" Programming isn't a profession of choice.
It's a profession of calling...
"Hey Programmer, your application broke again!" [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
robert.l.johnson.iii@citi.com

Kimberly:

In order to properly use the .mdw file from a short cut you need to explicitly define each path for the application, the database and the security file.

This is an example of how I use it:

"D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" "G:\database\TCC Reports\TCCReports.mdb" /wrkgrp "G:\Database\Kidcare\FCC007.mdw"

Another alternative is to have each user join the specific security file you have set up for this database. This approach can be a problem if you have different security files for different applications.

Hope this helps. Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

ok, do you mean I need to type 3 paths in the shortcut to the database each separated by parenthesis in the following order:

msAccess.exe
the database
the workgroup file?
Kimberly Palazzi
kpal29@hotmail.com

hehehe
1st create shortcut
2nd go to properties
3rd write this in the TARGET PLACE

"WHERE IS ACCESS" "WHERE IS THE DATABASE" /WRKGRP "WHERE IS MDW"

thats my example ... EVERYTHING on one LINE ..(TARGET)
"D:\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE"
"\\Tech02\tech02_e\Ergo\Outils_Ergo\Base de données\Département Matrice\Matrices.mdb"
/wrkgrp
"\\Tech02\tech02_e\Ergo\Outils_Ergo\Base de données\Département Matrice\secure\system.mdw"

Cheers
Vince

all of these things are correct, but if you realy wanted to prevent any one from getting at your app, you need to go into the group permisions... and take every thing out of the admin acount, and make a different one from you...

--junior1544 JHauge@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

the reason being, is that when you use access by default it uses an admin account... so it'll let them right in...

just my two cents:)
--Junior JHauge@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

ok, GREAT. Thank You. The shortcut works. However, each user can also just open Access and get to the db, or they can browse to network drive and get to the db.

I know I need to take all permissions away from Admin account after I give myself all permissions, but will this do the following?

1. prevent users from getting into the db w/o user name and password from everywhere?

2. will this prevent users from using other local and network unsecured db's?

Thanks again, so far advice is excellent.
Kimberly Palazzi
kpal29@hotmail.com

Kimberly,

As Larry above mentions, you could setup each user's computers to default to the correct workgroup. The path to the file on my system is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MS Access Workgroup Administrator". Execute this file, click on Join, and browse to your Workgroup file.

Another way to do the same thing is to create a registry
file with something similar to the following: (Note that the dashes are not part of the file, and there are only four separate lines)
---------------------------------------------------
Code:
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Access\Jet\4.0\Engines]

@=""

"SystemDB"="\\\\Stc1\\Shared\\Data\\STC.mdw"
---------------------------------------------------

Just edit "\\\\Stc1\\Shared\\Data\\STC.mdw" to the path and filename to your workgroup file, using the double backslash notation that is shown in the example.

Put this into a .reg file in a shared location and run it from each user's computer.

Hope this helps,

Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back