Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System keeps using memory untill it runs out - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuke

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
GB
My system (XP Pro SP2) keeps using more and more memory, until it uses all of the 1GB RAM I have. Then I get error messages, sometimes relating to tcmsdial.exe and rdsfans1.exe. I didn’t recognise these programs, and think they are suspicious so I deleted them.

When I end all the processes in task manager, the problem is still there. When I end Explorer it solves the problem, but I have to do File, New Task, Explorer to get the desktop back again, and then the problem starts again.

I also have popups with advertisements appearing out of the blue.
I did have some antispyware on the system that I took off; I am not sure if it was as much of a problem as a help or even the source of the problem (PConPoint and spyware doctor), though they did find some stuff.

The processor is always about 15 to 20 percent and the egg timer keeps appearing and disappearing about every second beside my pointer. I can’t ID the process that is causing this.

What ever has got onto my system has messed it up. I have run MS Antispyware, Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, and found a few things, but it said it deleted them.

I can only tell you too:

1.) Download HiJackThis ( run it in SafeMode and do a LOG analysis on this site: Delete anything deemed as NASTY... always make a REG backup first...

2.)see the following FAQ's aswell:
faq760-4866; faq760-5206; faq760-4962; faq760-3862

3.)Dowload EWIDO from free 30 day trial but only the realtime background scanner gets deactivated once trial expires... very good AntiTrojan scanner...

4.) get one of the RootKit Scanners out there, ie. and if you are hit by a RootKit, it may be too difficult to remove and thus you may be headed to a clean install...

Hope this helps and points you in the right direction...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How does the machine run in Safe Mode? If it is OK, that is a pretty good sign of malware or a bad program causing the problem. You can also try another user profile and see if they have the same problem?

Memory leaks.

RAM testing.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Check in Services that the Messenger Service is disabled.

Thanks for the advice. I ran Hijack this, and found these wee beauties:

O16 - DPF: {FAFF0003-0A01-121A-A1C9-08032B23E0CC} - O16 - DPF: {FF0F0013-0151-153A-A3C9-08032B55E0CD} - O16 - DPF: {FF3F0F03-0F01-131A-A3F9-08F02B23E0CC} -
I deleted them. I will let you know how I get on over the next day or so.

Well, the popup messages seem to have gone at least.

As for the RAM usage, I'm afraid that it is still rising.
My guess is that one of the Anti-spyware programs has a process that just keeps running and using up more RAM. I have experienced similar problems with Kasperskies and NAV.

The programs that might be responsible are:

GetDataBack for FAT V2.31
GetDataBack for NTFS V2.31
Spyware Doctor
MS Antispyware
Ad-aware
Spybot
GetRight
Nimo Codec Pack v5
DivX

Any ideas?

It may be beneficial to not have scanners performing their real-time functions, but to schedule the tasks for idle times instead.

I would disable all startup of these apps, (in msconfig if necessary) and see how it runs.

BadBigBen, the RAV Antivirus site has been closed for 2 years now!
You should revise the link or make a new one,

The other links are great; lots of useful sites/tools, Thanks.

More details

This section of RAV AntiVirus website is closed.

Due to the acquisition of RAV's IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) by Microsoft Corp. in 2003, GeCAD Software SRL is currently scaling down and discontinuing its anti-virus related business.

Please be informed that RAV AntiVirus online and direct sales ceased September 3rd, 2003.

MS Antispyware
Ad-aware
Spybot

The above three seem to co-exist together.

Why don't you experiment by using these articles and see if you can find the cause?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

@stuke - I have not written those FAQ's, I just found them useful when I first signed on to this Forum, which is quite awhile back now... but thanks for pointing it out...

As Linney mentioned, AdAware Spybot and MS AntiSpyware, work nicely alongside of each other... you should only have one AntiSpyware Background scanner running, at one time... they can interfere with each other just like AntiViral software...

on my setup I have them running, with the Background scanner of MS Antispyware... additional I have EWIDO and AntiVir running in the background... works with out a problem...

You could de-install them all and re-install them, as there are certain Malware, Spyware, and Viruses that cause havok with these type of apps, crippling or at best turning them off (rendering them useless)... including the DivX and the Codec Pack...

You could also have WinXP check if its System Files are intact by running SFC /SCANNOW from the RUN BOX or CLI... but have your XP CD at hand...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I have removed everything that I think it could be. I am now of the opinion that there is a hidden process running in the background that continues to use up memory. I have stopped all proceses in task manager other than the ones required by the system, but the RAM is still being eaten up some how. The sum of the memory bing used by the processes shown in task manager is less than 200MB, but the amount of RAM in use is going over 1GB, and then the system becomes unstable.

Does anyone know of a tool that can show all the processes running?

I have used one before to diagnose a system, but I cant remember what it was.

Stuke just wondering and this might sound off the subject but I have a good reason for asking this. Have you recently ordered or played a sony music cd on your computer?

Use Task Manager to break down the usage to a Process level.

Task Manager overview.

Have a look at the link to "Process counter column headings"

On the Processes tab, you can monitor running processes using the following counters, which can be displayed as column headings. To display a process as a column heading, on the View menu, click Select Columns. Select the check boxes that correspond to the processes you want displayed as column headings.

Memory leaks.

154718 - Incorrect Memory Size Reported in Windows NT 4.0

269551 - Task Manager Incorrectly Reports Amount of Memory in Computers

I had a look at Taskmanager, but the additional information about processes did not explain what was eating up all of my memory.

I dont have 10GB of RAM, so PerfMon is not going to explain some glitchy problem with Taskmanager.

I am not aware of Installing any sort of Sony software that creates a security hole or playing 'sony music'. I do have a few mp3's, but that's about it.

Troubleshooting Memory Leaks seems like the long route to nowhere. I dont fancy trawling through 5hours of MS white papers to find that I dont know what they are on about or that is is irrelivant. All that would accomplish is to tell me that there is a memory leak. It is not going to get rid of the problem.

I really think I just need to find the source procesesses that are eating up the memory, and delete them.

Running out of ideas and clutching at straws.

See if this is worthwhile, look at the information from "Option^Explicit"

problems with IE and explorer
thread779-1049037

Lots of free and wonderful utilities, see if anything is useful here?

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Or if you are getting desperate, a clean install and format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back