Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System keeps freezing up 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneRage

Technical User
Jan 4, 2005
US
I just need some suggestions on why my computer keeps locking up.

Brand new hard drive (160 GB Western Digital)
Brand new update (Windows 98 to Windows XP Home)

It had crashed before and I was told to put in a new hard drive, the only thing added to it is the OS, untill...I was told there may be something in the registry locking it up and so I bought registry mechanic, it cleaned it and says it is fixed now.

It is still locking up the mouse and the keyboard after about 5 mins. I have to shut it down by pushing the button instead of from the start program and so everytime it reboots it runs a scan disc too.

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Computer: Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1300MHz 1.30 GHz, 384 MB of RAM

Any ideas from the Computer Masters?

InsaneRage,

Lots of suspects for lockups, some software, some hardware. Here's a few:

Did you do a clean install of XP Home or an upgrade install? A clean install would be best.

Do you have a known working PSU to change & test?

Is the system well-cooled? Test w/ case open and see if you can replicate the lockup.

Do you have the latest BIOS for the MB? Are the chipset drivers and video/audio drivers the latest, or at least XP compatible?

You really need more RAM, but that amount should run XP fine. What happens/are you doing right before lockup?

Tony

If I am just in yahoo talking to my sister it works okay it seems, as soon as I open IE and maybe check email or google a recipe, it locks up. Nothing works, no mouse, no keyboard.

Oh and I bought a brand new full version (199.99)... and no, about the PSU, but I guess that would be next thing to buy?

Thanks Lawnboy, trying that now, as I have tried the opening up the side panel and pointing a fan there to no avail, will run the IE Service pack, and if that doesn't work, guess I will go to the more expensive of the 3 suggestions so far and visit Office Depot for a Power Supply.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

I had all sorts of issues with IE7 to start with. Fewer now.

My own lock ups were usually caused by software issues. Two apps vying for the same resource, or one app seeking a resource not there. This can be a registry mechanic problem..if something is removed from the registry and an app needs it. Or did you recently remove anything?

Here a system rather than hardware based approach:

Open in safe mode and see if the problem continues. If not it is possibly something in your start up folder or in the start up settings.

Check the start up folder (Start>Programs>Start up) Remove anything that isn't absolutely necessary. More and more software providers seem to think their product is the center of the world and needs to start with your computer.They don't. My #%$#$%$# OCR program, Omni Page, feels the need to assert itself at start up, as does that **** abomination, Adobe update and of course all security software.

Run>msconfig Go to start and see what programs are set to start. Disable anything that is <i>not</i> a Microsoft program or part of a currently running program. (They will be reinstated when you reboot.) Does this solve the problem?

Look hard at the running processes and see if any belong to someting you have uninstalled. If it does, do the registry dance.

HARDWARE:

PSU can always be a culprit on these issues. So can memory.

Simms go bad. Note what your memory check tells you.You may need to replace a simm. If your board will accept it, consider increasing memory. That's always fun and easy, anyway.

CPU's rarely do, but they get testy if they are too warm. Take off your case and see if all your fans are running well. Try computing with the case off (this can make a terrific difference, but only for diagnostic. It's there for a purpose).

Replace bad fans. Possibly add a new one.

Just too dumb and easy for words: Go to your local computer store and buy a can of compressed air. Turn off the computer and dust everything.

Thanks for all the suggestions Jlockley, it has been a fun process of elimination job, as it was a brand new hard drive and no programs added to it yet, that part was easy...IE6 is on it and I ran the update for it again, to no avail...I removed the panels, plugged in a house fan and it still froze up, I am hoping its not the memory sticks as those were brand new just before I replaced the HD...that leaves the PSU which im going to CompUSA tomorrow for, hopefully problem will be solved. I will let everyone know.

Thanks to Everyone, Jo

As has already been pointed out, it's always good to have a psu on reserve (and if it isn't the psu, you can take it back).

Let us know if it doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back