Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System is very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRaji

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2000
US
We have NT Server, SP6 and with 70 Windows 98 clients. The server has two partitions C: (3GB) and D: (5GB). NT is installed in C:. Both the partitions uses NTFS. The drive D: is compressed. The system is very slow now and it takes much time for each process. Is there any way to increase the processing speed?.<br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>Rajalakshmi<br><A HREF="mailto:dassraji@hotmail.com">dassraji@hotmail.com</A><br><br><br>

Are you finding it slow at certain times (early am when all your users are logging into the system)?&nbsp;&nbsp;You may want to watch performance monitor to see if there is anything obvious that may indicate where your bottle neck is originating.<br><br>How much RAM do you have on the server?&nbsp;&nbsp;What speed processor?&nbsp;&nbsp;Are you running SQL, Oracle or another type of Database Software that eats up resources?<br><br>

From my expirence SP6 is not very good may be an idea to go to SP6a or even back to SP5.<br><br>I may be wrong here, but have not seen a NT box with a C: partition of more than&nbsp;&nbsp;1 Gb before, I was under the impression that over 1 Gb on the boot partation was not a good idea..!!!&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Are you running any Virus software on it ie sophos??<br><br>Silly question what processor / memory are you running.<br><br>When you say it takes a long time for each process, do you mean it takes a long to service network requests, or takes a long time to load desktop apps <br><br>Ie go in to control panel, load performance monitor?????<br><br> <p>Paul Ovey<br><a href=mailto:paul.ovey@avenue-legal.co.uk>paul.ovey@avenue-legal.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

SP6 is evil.&nbsp;&nbsp;You definitely want SP6a.<br><br>Paul - we build all machines with 7.9GB NTFS system partitions (that's the max.).&nbsp;&nbsp;Works fine.<br><br>SRaji - Follow up on the questions.&nbsp;&nbsp;The problem could be the server, workstations or network.&nbsp;&nbsp;Much more detail is needed.<br> <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

First, my thanks to everyone. The system is constantly slow. I think i need to go back to SP5, we have 128 MB RAM and it is a PIII machine. Only NT Server and few applications are installed in this system. We are not running SQL, Exchange, IIS.... in this system. <br><br>Thanks in advance.<br>Rajalakshmi.

Here are some of the items that may help us better help you.&nbsp;&nbsp;Many times ruling out what is not the problem can point to what is the problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Since your system always appears slow, lets start knocking out some variables:<br><br>Is your server's NIC 10/100?<br><br>Are you running a hub or a switch in your network?<br><br>True CAT V?<br><br>Any protocols running you do not use? (NWLINK)<br><br>Does the EventViewer show anything out of the ordinary?<br><br>When was the last time your network was fast?<br><br>What has changed since (new software/hardware etc. . . )?<br><br>Does the server seem slow to you (working on it) or users accessing it?<br><br>If it appears slow to users, what type of TSRs/network programs do they have running?&nbsp;&nbsp;Has anything changed for your users recently?&nbsp;&nbsp;(Anti-virus, messageX, ICQ, etc...)<br><br>How is your server service set up? (Balance, Max-FileSharing, Max-NetworkApps, or MinMem)

This sounds like a dumb question but you'd be surprised at how many times it has solved the problem- Are you running a screensaver on the server? <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Why not look at the task manager and see what apps are sucking the CPU time?

As a rule of thumb:

NT Server = 64MB minimum. Preferably 128MB. Then allow at least 1MB per user connecting. So in your instance, you should be running 256MB as a realistic minimum. If it is a PDC you get hit harder.

Once you start getting into WINS, DHCP, DNS, back office etc you really need to think about getting more servers. I notice you have no resilience. Think about mirroring the drives or even better, go to hardware RAID.

It costs more money, but justify all of this with the &quot;if the server goes tits up, can we afford the downtime?&quot;.

Performance Monitor. Add Memory, Pages/sec. If it is over 5 then you def need more RAM. Preferably should be running around 2.

Ensure that your NIC is running at full speed as some auto sensing ones run at 10Mb/s on a 100Mb network.

Check event log for errors that may indicate problems.

Um...just thought I'd put my two cents in...Please oh please check your network hardware - NIC's Hubs etc. I had a file server which was perfectly visible to the network and which saw the rest of the network but any type of file copying resulted in a hung PC. I changed te NIC and it works fine. NIC's get damaged very easily through power spikes and suchlike.

The drive D: is compressed if most of the user data is on D: I would look at the overhead using Disk Compression it is a hog.

In the compressed Drive D:, we have only the backup of the files, which we used it rarely. We used to use this drive very rarely only.

Thanks,
S.Rajalakshmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back