Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system is reading my p4 3Ghz as 1.60Ghz?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalar

Programmer
Sep 19, 2004
GB
Hi, hope you can help me out here...

I decided to upgrade my processor from a celeron 2.0Ghz to a nice P4 3Ghz (generic).

Here some info:

PROCESSOR:

Pentium 4 3Ghz Generic
FSB: 533Mhz
Socket: 478

MOTHERBOARD:
SHUTTLE
Socket: 478
FSB: 533Mhz

Here is what the system properties looks like in windows.. the same happens on the bios readout too obviously.

myCpu.jpg

I think there must be some setting in the bios I need to alter. but i have no idea what the setting is,

Thanks for reading this, and feel free to give some suggestions.

:)

What is the mobo model? Have you looked through the manual, there could be a jumper that needs setting to resolve the problem.

kestrel1 is on the right lines.

Your celeron was probably a 400fsb model so the front side bus was set to 100 (quad pumped makes that 400)
Your P4 3.0gig being 533fsb requires this setting to be increased to 133 quad pumped taked that to 533.
Still doesn't account for the CPU being recognised as only a 1.6 though.

The other, and or senario is: are you sure the motherboard supports this CPU and if so do you know if the bios version is new enough to recognise it properly.
Does the mainboard require flashing?

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks guys, I will post a link to the motherboard manual, Shuttle AV49VN.

I found an interesting link on their FAQ:

I see the same thing as explain in the article above in my setup... but can you explain if this is good/bad - because from what im reading they are saying their way is ok...

Im looking for a bios update too, so I will let you know if I find one and how it goes...

ok,

I managed to find a new bios - only 1 update ever created?!?! and upgraded it, went fine but still sees the CPU at 1.60Ghz...

I have uploaded the PDF manual, if you want take a look through it, from what I see it should support the chip properly, but maybe there is something I havent understood...

Thanks guys

You may actually need to physically change jumper settings on the motherboard itself to attain the 133 (533) fsb required for your new chip.
Have you done this?
normally several pairs of pins and jumpers that need configuring in a particular way (usually screen printed on the PCB)
I know this is very difficult on a micro ATX setup like this.
Later setups are solely "soft menu" and are either fully automatic (as in fsb is auto detcted) or you sellect the correct settings manually, safe and exit the bios.

Martin

Oh dear I forgot something! from what I remember you will also need compatible memory for this extra FSB.
I'm guessing this setup might be using older SDram? PC100? then you will need PC133 to run synchonously with the CPU.

I might be way off the mark but report back with memory type.

Martin

hey martin,

Im pretty sure its SDRAM, but cant be certain, not even sure what the PCxxx value is, how can I find this out, is it on the memory itself? or could I find it under System Information in windows?

The manual says...

Versatile Memory Support:
Three 184-pin DIMM slots to support max 3GB of PC1600/PC2100/
PC2700 compliant with DDR SDRAM module.

If this confirms some of your thoughts, then I will buy some new RAM and hopefully get the full 3Ghz!

OK, I found out that my memory is infact DDR 512MB 400Mhz ... all I have is 1 strip so what pc class is this?

No problems there then, you have DDR not SD and the PC3200 (DDR400) supports the lesser 533fsb.
Martin

ok guys I think I got it...

have a quick read of this article, it reflects my problem and I think the answer has been provided....

Basically my P4 is a mobile version, operates initally at 1.6Ghz, but will boost to the 3Ghz when required... according to the articles above, to be honest in most of the applications I used since installing this new cpu, the speed is pretty good and certainly not lacking, so performance wise I am happy, very happy indeed .... but I guess anyone would feel like that after having a crappy celeron in their machine for a year.

What do you guys think? are the solutions valid outline above?

Thanks in advance

Are you saying that yours is a mobile CPU OR just that it matches the description?
It's kinda funny how many threads like this we see on this forum, if ONLY all the information was presented at the beginning instead of having to extract each morsal bit by bit until finally the picture was clear.
If nothing else this thread will stand as testimony for basic use on TT
ALL the information, harware/software and history upfront and in the first thread.

To answer your question, yes of course, if this is a mobile P4 3.0Ghz CPU it's megahertz are stepped depending on demand so could show up as a 1.6Ghz
Martin

I'm saying it matches my description, Like the user in that post, I bought mine on ebay where it said nothing about it being a Mobile version, it strictly said "INTEL P4-3.06 GHz, L2 Cache 512k, CPU " which is why it was never mentioned in the first post because I didnt know.

I checked the etching on the chip too, I didnt see nothing about MOBILE.

I've searched google all over for topics similar to my problem and got nothing except for that one article... so Im presuming that is the most likely option for my case... hence I am presuming it is Mobile...

there is a progam called CPU-Z (mentioned on that thread), so hopefully that will give me the full details, and confirm if its mobile.

Thanks for your help so far martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back