Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System IP (VLAN ID)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djones92

Vendor
Jul 22, 2010
US
Sorry for the newbie question, but i changed the vlan ID under system IP properties to something other then 1 and reset the system. Now I cannot access the ESM. How can I change it back or how do I get access to the ESM. Just a note this is an MXe.

use console cable , enter vlan_off
this only removes the setting until the next reboot

If you have access to the switch to which the 3300 is connected you could manually tag the 3300 port with the correct vlan ID to allow access, and then after reprogramming the 3300 revert the switch config back.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the Help.... vlan_off was the way to go.

You change that value and the 3300 starts tagging its packets with the supplied VLAN. As you can see you can turn that off or you could have move it to a port that supported VLAN tagging. Anyway your ok so I will shut up.

There may be no i in team but there are three f's in fudge off.

Most people get confused with the setting on thier pbx. everyone generally has thier voice on its own seperate vlan and when they see that setting, they think "oh, i probably need to turn this on as well". But generally you already have the port on your ethernet switch assigned as an access port (or pvid)for your voice vlan. This keeps you from having to turn that tag on in the system. However, if you were ever in a very odd situation where you have more than 1 device plugged into that switchport along with your 3300, then that switchport would become a hybrid or trunk port allowing tagged traffic for your voice vlan and what ever other vlans you wanted to allow on that port. At that point, the tagged setting on the 3300 would be effective to use.

If you are running a converged network and are implementing a CXi you would have to trunk, tag the switch port and change the VLAN setting on the CXi. This would then assign the IP phone to the Voice VLAN and the PC which would be directly connected to the phone the Data VLAN.
This is assuming you would be using the embedded switch on the CXi.
Generally on all other platforms as cknipe suggested the connecting switch port should be untagged on the Voice VLAN (access port) and the Mitel contoller left on VLAN 1.

Knowledge is power, thats why we share!

djones92, don't start thinking you've done anything unusual. I'm willing to bet we've all been in your shoes at least once. cknipe's post nails it for me. Hmmm this looks like something I should do, whoops, damn, now what?

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back