Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System involved in a fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepkid

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2003
US
My System was in a house that caught fire, the computer did not burn but it did get covered in soot. i blew it out but there is still a layer of soot caked everywhere inside, what should i use to clean it all up?

I thank you for any comments

Howdy:

Smartest idea would be to let the insurance company take care of the problem..

Murray

i would but its not covered because the fire was "started by the child in the house" even though it wasnt becasue she wasnt even home thank you anyway

Then, you are going to have fun as the soot will be in every nook and cranny possible..

Totally take apart the system, every piece has to come out and be cleaned.. all contact points, connections, circuits, slots etc.. right from the inside of the cd-rom to the inside of the floppy.. including the power supply..

As soot is carbon-based (unburnt hydro-carbons), it will conduct electricity.. any amount left inside across two points that shouldn't be connected could and probably would result in a burnt out circuit.

I really don't think this is the job for the end-user.. and very possible a tech wouldn't even tackjle it or no guarantee if they did..

Murray

Well What cleaners can i use on something like that i dont want to use alchol and end up having it "Eat" my conducters

Best bet is to go to an electronics store and pick up what they advise to use.. Cost should not be an option unless a system is cheaper !!

Murray

Since it deposited but not absorbed compressed air is probably best. Cover off, upside down supported between 2 tables and blow it off. May want to tape drive openings to keep any further out. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I normally clean out CPUs and monitors using compressed air at 60 to 80 PSI and have an in line filter/ water separator on my air compressor system. We use static grounding to prevent EMF damage- and use an assortment of artist brushes to help sweep out the debris while applying the air. You will have to protect the system fans to keep from damaging them. I use a brush to hold the fan blades in place (stationary) while blowing off the dust. There is also some general-purpose circuit board cleaning chemicals available from most of the good electronics supply stores- be careful, read labels and test the product before using. I have used one such chemical with success on all kinds of components. I will not make recommendations; you will have to make the best choice. The product that I use is a wash down chemical and is not recommend for some of the products I have tested it on- but works fine (has worked) for the applications applied. The problem is a lot of liquid spray wash down chemicals may have some effect on some plastics, causing discoloration etc. so care is used. You can disassemble (at your own risk) components to clean them out. Normally you void warranties in so doing, but I commonly e.g. will open up the power supply case and clean it out during a system rebuild.

Mike

I was told by a friend that is i got to like a rite aid they can make me a acolhol that is great for cleaning computer parts off is this true?

I would use the air based suggestions above friend.
The last thing you want to do is go dumping alcohol solutions on your components...
Are you a tech?
For really stubborn messes I have used compressed air with good result.

Good Luck! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

Yes i am a Tech, But i have used my air compresser and i had it pushing out over 120PSI and there is still soot everywhere i was hoping that i could use something else

Try a commercially prepared electronics air solution with the chemical cleaning component added. It will say something like tetrafluoroethane on the label.

I have seen a computer that came through a fire and you should know that a lot of the soot will be baked into the board. The discolouration is permanent. I don't know what you were looking for as far as clean, but you have your work cut out for you either way.

If you have blasted the boards with that much pressure already though I don't know what kind of success you will have.

Good Luck! Kimber

The more I learn,I realize how much more there is to know!

I just want most of it off so it wont cause added heat and/or earily system failure

Just go to an automotive store and get a good electronics cleaner.... I have used these before and about the only thing i have seen is maybe a light looking film... had a customer that had a noisy fan one time and decided to spray WD-40 on all his fans and completely coated the board to as where the system would not turn on... sprayed everything down with the cleaner... then blew out everything with air and let it sit about an hour...the cleaner was almost a sort of an either base which dries very fast, the system has been running ever since with no problems

If you have access to an electronics parts store, see if they carry Chemtronics products, particularly Formula 111.
I had forgotten that I had used it previously and dug thru my stock to find what it was once I remembered.
You probably will have to take the system down to board level to wash the stuff off.
I can't remember what I used it on, but whatever it was I went through multiple cans to clean everything up.
Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back