Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.

T3chGuy

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
CA
XP professional,system hangs on reboot.

Reboot and the first windows splash screen goes by ok then the light blue window comes up that would normally prompt me for a login afterwards comes up and it just hangs. The mouse cursor still moves around and if I use alt-tab to switch between programs i can see there is a "log on to windows" and a "windows logon" both running, as soon as i select either one or the other then its done. The mouse still moves but alt-tab no longer allows shows any selections. I wanted to do a system restore but I cannot boot into safe mode either.

Any ideas?

:(

Have you tried doing the repair install from the xp disk? Or if you have a bartPE disk handy, boot into it, and look at the system, run chkdsk /f. tested the hard drive with the diags disk from the hdd manufacturer.

Put the drive in another computer, move the data from it, and wipe and start a fresh install.

I have just tried to run the repair install and received the following error:

d:\nt\com\comlx\src\complussetup\comsetup\ccompluscatalogsetup.cpp (line 2075)
error code = 0x80004005
check comsetup.log for more info

dont have bartpe disk handy

Can you access safe mode? Run a few tests from there?

If you have a Windows XP CD you can make a Bartpe, or download and create a UBCD to check the hard drive.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

windows will not start up in any mode.

the scenario that caused the issue was an It infastructure upgrade to include this profile to an active directory. the procedure was to add the windows client to a domain for a windows xp professional workstation. This process included a Windows USMT user state migration tool version 3.0.1. It was used to copy the profile to a network location, connect the user to the AD domain, the reapply the profile to the users new AD account and password.

the migration too used was USMT301_x86.msi

the tool concluded successfully copying the profile to an external disk, then the computer 'froze' the attendant running the process proceeded to do a 'hard' reboot to the system, causing the symptoms described above.

there was a clonned image of the drive, to a seperate drive, but this drive is not able to boot from. is there a way to change this clonned drive to make it bootable?

any help is appreciated..... thanks to all :)

d:\nt\com\comlx\src\complussetup\comsetup\ccompluscatalogsetup.cpp (line 2075)
error code = 0x80004005
check comsetup.log for more info

I'm assuming this is from the PC's recovery partition.

You may be able to do an actual Repair install with an actual XP Cd, and not the PC's recovery partition. It would reset everything back to defaults, but will leave your files and apps untouched. (you would have to re-download and apply all updates and service packs)

Other than that, running a chkdsk from a BartPE to repair any damaged files, seems to be your only choices since you can't boot into anything.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Test the hard drive first. If it's having a problem, you won't be able to move forward no matter what you try. Test the memory after that.

This almost sounds like video drivers got corrupted.

Just for SnGs boot from an XP CD, choose recovery console, and run the chkdsk /F /R command just in case there is any bad blocks or bad sectors.

Once that completes, see if you can log in. Once you can, then run sfc to check all the files.

If you still cannot log in, do you have another computer on the network to see if you can access this computer?

If so, then download the PSTools from MS, and run psexec to run connect via cmd prompt and run the above commands.

MCSE 2003
MCSA 2003
MCTS

This may be a long shot, but the pc isn't running in extended desktop mode is it and your on the secondary monitor?

Can you right click on desktop and get a menu up?

If so, check the display properties.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back