Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Hangs, Crashes ?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philbong

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
GB
I have recently updated my old system. I now have a AMD Athlon XP2000+ running on a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU with 256mb RAM. 80gb IBM Hard Drive & A Geforce 4 MX440 64mb. Psu 300 Watt
Operating System is Windows XP Professional

The problem i have is every now and again the system will just hang or crash !
To start with it was quiet often and most of the time if i was running a game (i.e Jedi Knight 2, Counter Strike e.t.c). Even running 3D Mark would make the system crash ?.
I removed my new graphics card, replaced it with the old one but to no avail ?
I removed both games and the system has been running ok i checked the operating temp. of the CPU and all is within specification !
When reinstalling counter strike and typing in the cd key the system will crash with the blue Windows screen coming up and the system restarting this happens every time ?

I just cant think what the possible cause could be. Iam maybe 80% certain its a software fault as opposed to a hardware problem. But does any body think it could be the PSU ?

If there is anybody who can help please let me know,

Thanks

If it were the power supply, the whole machine would shut down or not start at all.

Have you checked your task manager to see what else is running? Ctrl-alt-del and go to task list. This will show you what is running. Kill everything here and try reinstalling. Are you using an antivirus program? you may need to disable it while you load the program.

What is reported in Event Viewer at the times of these crashes?

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

You might want to check for IRQ Conflicts with your Video Card and other devices...

Are you getting any specific error messages with these blue screens? or just re-boots?

Also...check your system resources... *ducks and hides* "don't shoot me i'm only the messenger!"

Thank you all for your ideas they have been really helpful ! None of the error logs in event viewer are any good to me and iam still thinking it must be the PSU ! Iam going to get and new 400 watt and replaced the 300 watt one i have and try that !

Before going out and buying a new PSU i thought i would change my new harddrive over for my old one but still no good ! It seems to be when i go to run a program install ! Tried installing paint shop pro 7 and it just freezes everytime !
If there is anyone with any more ideas please let me know

Here's something you can look at. Take the supplied Q number and search InstallShield's knowledge base and see if there is any help there. Also make sure you are running the latest version of InstallShield.

See if this support link helps or the next link to a page further into this forum.

INFO: Troubleshooting General Installation Errors – End User Version
Document ID: Q105408

thread779-323336

I dont think its going to be any thing to do with Install shield. Basiscally because i can install things after a couple of attempts and because i can accually play games and it will lock up after about a minute..

The more and more i think about it iam coming to the conclusion possibly that i havnt got enough Ram. Do you think it may be locking up because of that ?

There seems to be plenty of memory in your system. You could always put some more in and XP would use it.

If you want to check your memory out for errors have a look at this freeware program.

Another place to check is the games troubleshooter at this site.

Have you run the Direct X Diagnostic tool?

Ok after everything previous i decided i would format my hard drive and reinstall ! The first thing i install was jk2 and tried playing it, but guess what " crash " !!.
This is really getting on my nerves now and if anybody can help please let me know.

im having exactly the same problems. i ahve reformated countless numbers of times and installed and reinstalled all software, hardware, and bios updates. nothing has worked. ive changed the settings in my bios to slow the processor from max output. i have tried everything. i am runnin XP Pro on an Epox 8KHA board with an AMD Athlon 1.4GHz chip/ 512MB DDR/ GeForce2 MX 400/ SBLive! 5.1/ three case fans/ ive got a brand new TruePower 330w source... the list goes on a bit but nothing has worked for me either... anyone that can help him, please help me!

Ok i have chcked for driver updates for windows and for my hardware i have even flashed my bios ! But nothing ?

I know this is really tricky but please keep letting me know what you think and i will keep trying !

Ok after alot of fun a games yesterday i have cured the problem!.

Basiscally if i run my processor at a FSB of 100Mhz the system runs fine no problems what so ever - Brilliant !
But as soon as i run it at 133Mhz this is when my problems occur, the thing is the PCU should run at 1.67Ghz not the 1.25Ghz i have it at, at the moment?
Is there any chance then the PSU i have is not man enough for it and there for causing my problem ??

Ok i would like to thank everybody who has had any input for me on my problem.
I have put a few computers together in my time but never so stupidly and as wrongly as this one !
I installed the heat sink back to front and this is what has been causing my problem all the time. I have now a new PSU and Extra strip of ram which i need'nt of bought but nevermind!
Thank you all again and you cant imagine how embrassing this has been for me !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back