Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System Hangs, Crashes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philbong

Technical User
Aug 20, 2002
GB
I have recently updated my old system. I now have a AMD Athlon XP2000+ running on a MSI KT3 Ultra ARU with 256mb RAM. 80gb IBM Hard Drive & A Geforce 4 MX440 64mb.
Operating System is Windows XP Professional

The problem i have is every now and again the system will just hang or crash !
To start with it was quiet often and most of the time if i was running a game (i.e Jedi Knight 2, Counter Strike e.t.c). Even running 3D Mark would make the system crash ?.
I removed my new graphics card, replaced it with the old one but to no avail ?
I removed both games and the system has been running ok i checked the operating temp. of the CPU and all is within specification !
When reinstalling counter strike and typing in the cd key the system will crash with the blue Windows screen coming up and the system restarting this happens every time ?

I just cant think what the possible cause could be. Iam maybe 80% certain its a software fault as opposed to a hardware problem.

If there is anybody who can help please let me know,

Thanks

Sorry i have recently thought possibly i could be the PSU? I have a 300 watt any ideas ?

Check memory. Often times, especially when playing games, it needs to be tweaked in the BIOS. At times the machine can be fooled into thinking that has faster memory than it really has. For ex., the memory in my computers is generic at CAS 3, but set to CAS 2 in the BIOS. In general people don't recommend this with generic memory, but it works just fine. Check whether frequency is limited to 100 MHz, but the BIOS setting is at 133. Many a memory will be left unphased, but some won't take it. Disable memory shadowing in BIOS, since this is there for compatibility with older chips. These are but a few ideas that came to mind on the fly.

John

Ok after alot of fun a games yesterday i have cured the problem!.

Basiscally if i run my processor at a FSB of 100Mhz the system runs fine no problems what so ever - Brilliant !
But as soon as i run it at 133Mhz this is when my problems occur, the thing is the PCU should run at 1.67Ghz not the 1.25Ghz i have it at, at the moment?
Is there any chance then the PSU i have is not man enough for it and there for causing my problem ??

PSU problem - very likely, I'd definitely upgrade it (many posts on various forums lead me to this suggestion).

Ok i would like to thank everybody who has had any input for me on my problem.
I have put a few computers together in my time but never so stupidly and as wrongly as this one !
I installed the heat sink back to front and this is what has been causing my problem all the time. I have now a new PSU and Extra strip of ram which i need'nt of bought but nevermind!
Thank you all again and you cant imagine how embrassing this has been for me !?

I had the very same problem but my problem was that the heatsink was placed not back to front but just about 3mm from the edge. I puted on some more thermalpaste on the heatsink and placed the heatsink all the way to the plastic-edge of the CPU-slot. My computer has worked ever since.

I am having similar problems at present. I've recently built my pc and when running a game like medal of honour it would run for about 10 minuutes then hang or blue screen.
I was told it might be a memory issue, So I tried each memory one at a time and they both work seperately and the game runs fine. I then put both memory in and it crashes after 5-10 mins. i have an asus a7n8x deluxe moth board with 2x 256mb ddr ram. I have 3 slots 1 black and two blue. I put both in blue as I should. I tried one in black one in blue and it ran ok for a while then whilst surfing the web I got a blue screen with Driver irql error, or words to that effect? Any ideas?
Also when I first set up the pc it defaulted to 100mhz but I think should have been 133 which I have it set at. How do I tell what mhz it should be?

Thanks in advance.

U had a 300 watt PSU and you got a different one??! Why?!?!
You were only using about 130 watts son!

HI i have recentily bought a new PC the stats are
AMD 2000+ ,G-Force 5200 xfx ,MSI KT4V motherboard 256mb RAM
the problem is when playing counter-strike i can create a game with a fresh boot but if i leave the game and try to create another game the machine restarts, i have tried several things and nothing works i dissabled memory shadowing, i am running XP professional as an OS i have replaced vga card, memory, and motherboard i then tried to editing the command line with -noipx and -nocdaudio but nothing has helped if you could provide assistence i would be very grateful.

Thank you

UNCLE E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back