Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

system hangs after windows splash

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdbeast

Technical User
Mar 11, 2003
CA
I have recently tried to upgrade my video card, from a 4mb trident to a viper v550(riva tnt chipset) in one of my machines. After nvidia or viper drivers are installed and the system reboots, it hangs at or just after the windows splash screen.

Current specs

Win2000pro (first used on XP pro)
Viper v550(riva tnt) 16MB
AT/ATX dfi motherboard (P5BV3+ B+)
AMD K6-2 500MHz
cdrom, 4gig HD, nic, modem, and an isa soundblaster 16

I first tried with XP, installing nvidia det 41.09 and I also tried letting xp install its own driver. Neither worked. I also tried reseating the video card and making sure all devices are plugged in properly. I also had ati drivers previously installed that refused to be removed, so I thought that perhaps the problem was windows rot. I did a fresh install of XP and still the same problem.

Now I used to have this card before and it used to work fine, but it was a borrowed card. I had given it back, and it was recently borrowed again. The OS which it ran fine on the first time was win2k so I decided to reinstall win2k. Same result. Win2k installs the viper driver, then I tried the nvidia driver with no luck. I also tried updating DirectX.

It is only after a driver is installed and the system reboots does it hang. Otherwise I uninstall the driver in safe mode and she boots normally.

I have had this problem before with an old compaq machine, and the problem was a conflict of video cards. The AT does not have onboard video, so i am not sure what it is.

1)Try to install VIA Hyperion 4.46 (2)Download older WHQL version of Detonator from NVidia
3)Check your BIOS settings (AGP aperture size, etc.)
4) (When you run a program that uses 3D AGP functions on a Windows 2000-based computer that contains the VIA AGP chip set, the computer may stop responding (hang))
5)Also visit: "ANTE GEIA"...

Thanks for the help. The first 3 u mentioned I already tried. I managed to get it working by ripping out the nic, modem and sound card. Then I put them back in and everything still works. That's kinda weird, but hey as long as it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back