Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAMOV

Technical User
Jan 12, 2000
AU
I have a PIII500 PC running Win98. The system 'locks up' with no error messages displayed. The only way to get out is to turn the power off. I have tried changing the motherboard, HD, etc to no avail. There dosn't seem to be any conflicts with the hardware.<br>

<br>

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what to try next ???

I have the same problem with my win 98 P55C 233 Mhz. The sytem just hangs for no apparent reasons, and there is no hardware conflict. I also need help. Thanks for bringing up the problem.

At what point does the &quot;lock up&quot; occur?<br>
For an answer, look at the obvious. Timing is everything.

You may want to try changing your monitor to not enter 'power saving' or 'sleep' mode (if it is set to do so).

Also it is possible that your video card could be the culprit. I have experienced problems with ATI cards, where I've had to add commands in sys files to correct the problem. <p>Chris DeLima<br><a href=mailto:chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com>chris_delima@zdnetonebox.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I downclocked my P55C from 233 to 200 and no more hanging.<br>
I first put in a more powerful cooling fan but it did not help so I downclocked it. And it works.<br>
Amateur<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back