Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

System freezes completely on certain websites 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffb1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2001
CA
I'm running Win98 SE on a PIII 500Mhz PC with 384 MB RAM. My motherboard is ABIT-BF6. My modem is a 56 K Cirrus Logic winmodem.

I used to have no freezing problems what-so-ever until recently. Now, when I visit certain websites, my PC freezes up solid. There is no mouse or keyboard response or any movement on the screen. The only way out is to press the reset button.

In an effort to solve this problem, I have upgraded Internet Explorer to version 6 including all of the options and the latest patches. I have also upgraded my modem drivers to the latest version. None of these has solved the problem.

I have identified certain websites that will trigger this everytime I try to access them, however, if I use Netscape, the problem is significantly reduced. It doesn't go away completely, but it happens considerably less often.

I think it's related to java in some way. Since I'm not the only one that uses this PC, I can't say what, if anything has been installed or attempted to be installed that would have triggered this behaviour.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

cliffb1

Time for some LEVITY

Computer Hangs After 49.7 Days;-)
---------------
or Some MAYBE...

I know you mentioned this previously in the thread but worth a look anyways..
IRQ Sharing and NIC's don't mix. How to check if your NIC is sharing an IRQ
---------------

or Some REACHING

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-054

..."A vulnerability results because the UPnP service does not correctly handle certain types of invalid UPnP requests. On Windows 98, 98SE, and ME systems, receiving such a request could cause a variety of effects ranging from slow performance to system failure."
....How can I determine whether the UPnP service is installed on my machine?..

Smitee

About the Carnivore system -

I seriously doubt that there is a Carnivore system in use where you are. Carnivore is a system set up at your ISP on it's backbone, and all it is is a program called EtherPeek, made by WildPackets. It has a couple of custom plug-ins which enable it to trap all packets originating from a certain IP address on a backbone. By law, it is "filtered", which means that unless YOU'RE the one they are trying to catch, your internet traffic will not be logged.

I run EtherPeek at work as a Network Administrator, and notice no extra latency in the network while it is actively scanning. I would rule out any surveillance software bogging you down. Nate Gagne
ngagne@numa-inc.com

Like my post? Let me know it was helpful!

You may also try uninstalling ZoneAlarm. Go to and look for their complete removal instructions. ZoneAlarm can often cause issues similar to the ones you're having if there are any corrupted files.

jazzgirl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back